Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can somebody explain this for me?

One of my neighbors stopped by today to show me a trailer that was just given to him, he asked me to look at the axle cause he didn't know what he was looking at. I looked at it and told him the same thing, I didn't know what I was looking at either. There is a piece of chain from the rear spring mount to a u-bolt on the axle and from a u-bolt on the axle there is another chain with a spring attached to it going to a mount towards the front of this trailer. Pay close attention to the front of the spring, they are cut blunt and then clamped down by the front hanger. I've seen a lot of strange things done to trailers but this is a first for me. Can one of you guys explain this to me. Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dabar39; 08-11-2007 at 05:51 PM.
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Default P.o.s.

by the looks of that trailer I'd say that piece of chain is whats keeping it together hahaha

Cool I can.Where's that easy button.

Hey thatís pretty cool! It serves a dual purpose the axle wonít get away on ya and you know when youíre pulling a trailer and it hits a bump? Well that chain and spring helps stop the trailer bounce, and takes up some of the shock.

Hey Dabar39 Remember that guy that came into your shop looking for a job and he said that he had 20 years welding experience and all he did was build trailers! Well I think you found one. Because in all my years I have never seen anything like that, So Iím thinking this must be a signature type trailer.

Cool

Thats a first for me also. I built 500 and prob worked on 500 more. I guess everyone is an engineer in their own way...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

never seen one like that , maybe it`s like a shock or lev spring ?

Inferno Forge

Chris

You said the front of the springs are cut blunt and just held by the clamp,
    maybe when the trailer bounced or was jacked up the spring could slide out of the clamp without the chain keeping the axel from droping to much

Talking

i think that is some form of torsion/chain suspension arrangement. groundbreaking design. plus if your tie down breaks on what you are hauling you can take that one of there and put it on your load. brilliant brilliant idea
    hh 187.:
    powcon 300 st
    cheap chinese plasma cutter
    miller diversion :

Iron man, That's kinda what I was thinking, but I still can't figure out why anyone would do this. It also appears to me that the chains were added as an after thought, probably after chasing the axle down the highway a time or two.

I've added another photo and if you look behind the chain, you can see the 3 leaf springs being clamped down in the front spring mount. Also another thing that I noticed is the fact that the rear spring mount does not move, that keeps the spring rigid and it cannot work, add the chains into the mix and there is no reason for the springs as they cant do anything anyways. Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dabar39; 08-11-2007 at 08:32 PM.
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Default Army trailer???

Looks like it is an old Army trailer! What army? I'm thinking Iraqi....
    I'm going to build one JUST LIKE THAT, and see if it'll pull my friend's brand new softail
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by dabar39 View Post
    add the chains into the mix and there is no reason for the springs as they cant do anything anyways. Dave

Do ya think the whole arrangement could be some form, or fashion of redneck 'wheelie bars' that come into play when you're racing it on a figure '8' track?

"Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
    I doubt we'll see either of their likes again".

Circa 1920.
    Author:
    Unknown US Coast Guard unit Commander.