Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Setting up a Rig Truck

Hello everyone!! I am new here but have been lurking for awhile. Anyways i am starting a moble welding service and have two options as far as a rig is concerned. The first is just using my daily driven Ford F-350, installing my Trailblazer 302 (ordering it next week) in the box, buying side boxes, and building a headache rack to hold cylinerds Ect. Ect. Or out fit my 40ft floor 45ft overall length enclosed tripple axel car trailer into a rig, and adding a living corters in the front?

I just bought a Dynasty 200dx tigrunner and have most everthing else i think i could need, but dont have a clue what i should carry with me?? What i am asking for i guess is a "must have list" of tools and equipment that i might overlook ?? Thanks

carry one of everything you have.(or two)
    there is nothing worse than being on a job, and not having what you need to finish
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

I guess it depends what sort of welding you plan on doing mobile. Personally I'd vote for the F350. A 45'long trailer would be too much to drag around just to go fix a piece of equipment or a fence. It would give you one hel of a shop on wheels however.

If funds permitted I would look at a nice used vehicle. I see dozens of used utility bodies and DRW PU's for sale now that the economy has turned bad. Guys are working out of their personal vehicles, or dumping the "extra" truck as funds have gotten tight. Wish I could have waited 6 more months to by mine.

Tools, well again what sort of welding?
    If I do a fence or railings I could see the hammer drill or diamond core drill. Don't need that if you do heavy equipment work. I do agree carry as much as you can for what you do. I got an 11' utility body and some days wished I had gotten the 14' one I looked at, so I have more space for stuff. Other days the long truck is a PITA to get into places and I'm glad I didn't go bigger.

Question Truck or Trailer?

Hotrod: Bassed on your username, you seem to have interests in car building. Do you plan on "hanging out" in the infield at Knoxville, or mending a fence in Calhoun County? An enclosed 45' trailer would make a nice shop on wheels for the USAC and OutLaw boys, but might get stuck in the mud along a fence row. Ever notice how the Pipeliner Rigs are "short" wheelbase trucks? That's for manuveralbility and articulating diverse terrain.

It's really what you want to do, and what type of work you expect to do. Tying up your truck will park your trailer for a while, but when you need to go, you're just an ignition switch away.

Oh, one can NEVER have enough tools!

Hope this helps, good luck, post some pics...

Dave
    Last edited by davedarragh; 02-17-2009 at 06:06 PM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

The trailer idea was so that if I took a job that payed perdeium i could live out of that and not waste it on a motel, also so i could carry more stuff and possibly set up a "glove box" inside. The sprint car guys really don't seem interested in track side service they all tell me hobby stocks would be. The tough thing about that is getting permission from the track to weld on-site most will not let you. I used to subcontract work on concept cars in Detroit but that is almost gone, and the hotrod market is so bad that i cant see how those guys are making it. The idea for my truck was to put the trailblazer in the front of the box and build a tailgate style door out the side with a rack to where i could pull it out of the side of the box partially to have easy access to the front panel and to increase air flow to it. How do most of you guys fasten down you cylinders? What is the law on that? I know there are only certain ways that you can "legally" Carry them. About the tools i am new to working on job sites and i was just wanting to know about things i might over look bringing or buying to take with me, like do you guys have portable rod ovens,mag drills, how many collets for example is enough?? I am just getting started so any and all advise is good advise. Thanks

I guess I just dont really know wich way I am headed yet because i am still working a everyday job,

Partial list. 75 or 100ft ground & stinger cables. 100 ft extension cord, 7" & 4.5" grinders, some chains & come-a-longs, misc. jacking equip or porta-power, cutting torch with rosebud, large & small hammers, pry bars, plenty of clamps, lots of hand tools (sockets wrenches etc), air compressor with carbon arc torch, several tape measures, straight edge, chalk line. The list goes on & on but should be tailored for the type of work you plan on doing. I've always found that the more tools you carry the more you can do & the more work you will get.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

great question: I've been in the situation the last year. i got a 7.5 X 14 foot trailer and realized that it was to small to fit my race quad so i sold that and got a good deal on a 8.5 x20 foot and now i think it's to much for my welding trailer so i just use it for my quads and storage. and put my welder in my truck. but I'd love to get a 12 foot box truck to run my welding biz out of. you'll have to decide what your going after for jobs if your going to weld structural the truck is the way to go. (welder, leads, wire feeder, rod ) miscellaneous welding. two of every and all the stuff you can carry.
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

Default Cylinder Brackets

Hotrod: Anchor Mfg. makes some real nice cylinder brackets that are OSHA approved. It's always best to have your rig fitted to conformity, you never know who's going to be on a job site. Tower Mountain Products make "Tank Vises" for storage or horizontal transport. Inert gases can be hauled layed down. Acetylene should be stored and transported vertically. Oxygen, might as well stand it up next to the acetylene.

Regardless what you decide to outfit, keep in mind, the various safety "watch dogs," and codes: OSHA, MSHA, CGA & RMA Standards, ANSI, NIOSH, the list goes on.

It may be as something as "insignificant" as not wearing a "safety vest," and you could be cited for a safety violation,or worse yet, "booted" (steel toed) from a job.

Hope this helps

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    Hotrod: Anchor Mfg. makes some real nice cylinder brackets that are OSHA approved. It's always best to have your rig fitted to conformity, you never know who's going to be on a job site. Tower Mountain Products make "Tank Vises" for storage or horizontal transport. Inert gases can be hauled layed down. Acetylene should be stored and transported vertically. Oxygen, might as well stand it up next to the acetylene.

Regardless what you decide to outfit, keep in mind, the various safety "watch dogs," and codes: OSHA, MSHA, CGA & RMA Standards, ANSI, NIOSH, the list goes on.

It may be as something as "insignificant" as not wearing a "safety vest," and you could be cited for a safety violation,or worse yet, "booted" (steel toed) from a job.

Hope this helps

Dave
    great point i forgot to mention that the law veries state to state. you can ask you local suppler or look it up on line.
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2