Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If you want to use metal, you could imitate one of these...

https://www.schooloutfitters.com/cat...ath/CAT8_CAT62

http://www.churchoutlet.com/Architec...FR8hnAodG2ZMcA

But from what I see, it would probably cost as much in materials as it would to buy the finished product outright. Of course, I spent $175 making a meat grinder I could have bought for $60... and I'd do it again!

Here's an idea... 14 gauge 1" square tubing for the framework, and plywood for walking surface. Self tapping screws penetrate the 14 gauge tubing nicely. You may need to do some welding in some places and utilize bolts in others to facilitate easy folding and storage.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Give ya a couple ideas

http://www.steeldeck.com/index.htm
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

that steel deck stuff was exactally what i what thinkin of. now i have proof of concept and will go form there

thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Bodybagger View Post
    If you want to use metal, you could imitate one of these...

https://www.schooloutfitters.com/cat...ath/CAT8_CAT62

http://www.churchoutlet.com/Architec...FR8hnAodG2ZMcA

But from what I see, it would probably cost as much in materials as it would to buy the finished product outright. Of course, I spent $175 making a meat grinder I could have bought for $60... and I'd do it again!

Here's an idea... 14 gauge 1" square tubing for the framework, and plywood for walking surface. Self tapping screws penetrate the 14 gauge tubing nicely. You may need to do some welding in some places and utilize bolts in others to facilitate easy folding and storage.
    Bodybagger: you always give some of the best advice.but i feel that 1" square would need to much supporting. my first thought on design was 1 x 2 to hold 16 people ( and i'm sure that number will double. plus if they start jumping around ??? ) and thought that 1 x 2 wouldn't be enough. the truss design sould be used for the amount of stress that it will have to take, wail keeping the over all weight down.
    i'm i off on this one? maybe just my over kill mentality.
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

Quote Originally Posted by vin-man welding View Post
    Bodybagger: you always give some of the best advice.but i feel that 1" square would need to much supporting. my first thought on design was 1 x 2 to hold 16 people ( and i'm sure that number will double. plus if they start jumping around ??? ) and thought that 1 x 2 wouldn't be enough. the truss design sould be used for the amount of stress that it will have to take, wail keeping the over all weight down.
    i'm i off on this one? maybe just my over kill mentality.
    i totally agree..its better to overbuild than underbuild. nobody likes a tragic accident at prom!

It looks like that steeldeck stuff is 1" square tubing welded into a warren truss.

I wonder if the one holding up the yellow sportscar is 14 gauge?

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

as a carpenter it would make sense or me to recomend "lumber", but as its going to moved about and reused i would go for a frame work of steel or alluminium and cover with ply or mdf...

1 inch square tubing could be strong enough if the design is correct. build it like a truss. you can even make some mounts for castors so its easier to move, but make sure they can filp up or be removed so it doesnt roll around unwantedly.

the beauty of this is it will get you using different materials and give you a feel for how they do different jobs.

in Australia stairs must comply to a code, that code varies from domestic to industrial and commercial.

basic domestic stairs must meet the fomula:

2R + G = 550mm-750mm

R = rise and G = going(tread)

now the rise is from the surface of tread to the next tead surface and the going is the face of the rise to the next rise face.

there are minimum and maximums for each, Rise = 110-190mm and going is 240-300mm

im sure if you find out your local building codes not only will it put you on the path to designing something with safety built in, it will make it a comfortable "flight" to climb/decend... one of the important factors in stair construction is that every rise and going is exactly the same, a small difference in rise, say 1/4inch in one rise of a flight, can cause an accident. it only takes 2-3 steps for the human body to calculate the required movement to climb/decend a flight of stairs....

good luck

Serg
    not sure you can call what i do welding....

Quote Originally Posted by Bodybagger View Post
    It looks like that steeldeck stuff is 1" square tubing welded into a warren truss.

I wonder if the one holding up the yellow sportscar is 14 gauge?
    Yup.

We use the Steel Deck system all the time.

"Evenly Distributed Load Capacity: 4,000 lbs Per Deck"
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus