Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Body Bagger has it right. As a mechanic first, and a weldor second, I know my way round the new ones as well as the old stuff. This however is classic.

Take your battery terminals, and look at them, white and fuzzy is bad. Green is also really bad. Get a wire brush, take all of the white fuzzy stuff off, and re connect. Make sure that the ground is connected somewhere that there is a good connection...even if your battery connections are great, you need that good ground for anything to support the current. Make sure any connections are tight, loose connections take more current to cross, and that means less for your starter to use. After you finish cleaning and re connecting everything though, go ahead and put some vaseline on those connections to help protect them from future issue.

AFTER you take care of those issues if they exist, then go ahead and check your battery. You can probably take it to a local autozone, or napa, and have it load tested. If it fails that, regardless of voltage that it holds, replace it.

I cant tell you how many times I've overlooked the easier option first...just because I thought, "oh, that cant be the issue...thatd be WAY too simple!" 2 hours later, and frustrated, I came to find it WAS the simple option.
    Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

hi, new member, here's my thoughts. during my time as a tech at a ford dealership, i have found a few battery cables that corroded inside the insulation right at the battery terminal, almost impossible to see, but caused lots of trouble. Do the voltage drop test as described, that will find it. My guess is probably not a bad starter, since you have no voltage to any systems. ECU shuts down at anything below 5 volts. Door ajar light says maybe problem is with bad ground connection. Make sure connection to bat, from bat to cable and cable to frame is good, also make sure engine ground cable is installed and has clean connections (engine needs to be grounded to frame as well as bat) Has car had any recent mechanical or body work? Has it sat for a period of time?

im by no means a genuis when it comes to diagnosing but i would ceck all the main battery cables( bat-ground eng-ground Pos-starter) and check for cuts, bent twisted or coroded ends exposed wire. also dont just clean the cable ends but also where the cable conects to (such as where the ground meets the frame or engine) and clean those surfaces as well. kind of like when your welding- if you dont have a good clean ground or are trying to start and arc on a painted surface it wont worc because theres not a complete circut being made to start the arc.

just my thoughts...
    Last edited by 2tay530; 06-24-2009 at 11:26 PM.
    Miller Digital Elite inferno
    Miller MP-10 passive helmet
    Hobart Stickmate 250/160 ac/dc