Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Filters????????

Default Filters????????

Welding environments are very dirty with smoke and particles. So why don't all of the welding companies have filters on their welders? I just pulled the case off of my welder and it was coated with all manner of crap. Some compressed air and time made it look better. This all could have been avoided with a filtering device.
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Last edited by kiwi; 02-14-2009 at 09:15 AM.

I know what you mean based on the amount of "stuff" I've cleaned out of my welder. Just considering the amount of air the fan in my welder moves when it comes on, I'd say the manufacturer didn't build it with a filter mainly because it would restrict air movement just when the welder needs it the most. When I think of the damage a clogged filter would cause in an overheated welder and the manufacturer's warranty costs for repairs/replacements, I think I know why it has no filter. After all, the dirt and grit buildup can be remedied through maintenance and from the manufacturer's perspective that is a problem they'd rather was yours, not theirs.
    Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
    Miller S-22A wirefeeder
    Bernard 400A "Q" gun
    Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
    CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.

Most likely the manufacturer has found that the dust and debris will not interfere with the welder’s performance until 3 years and 2 months of service. Then it is our problem.

Using compressed air to remove the dust/dirt from inside the machine is considered regular maintenance and stated as such in most owners manuals.

Yes, I actually read mine.

Thumbs up Filters !!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Welding environments are very dirty with smoke and particles. So why don't all of the welding companies have filters on their welders? I just pulled the case off of my welder and it was coated with all manner of crap. Some compressed air and time made it look better. This all could have been avoided with a filtering device.
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Nick, Hello;
    On My Welders I just use a thin layer of Cheese Cloth held on
    with Masking Tape!!

It does a great job of cleaning the air before entering the Welder
    without restricting the flow of air !!

Also the Masking Tape is Easily Removed to put a new clean piece of
    Cheese Cloth on !!

The Inside of my Welders are Clean at ALL Times !!!

................... Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

I rarely run my sync 250 hard enough to make the fans come on. Short periods at 220amps AC does not require them.
    Justin Starkey
    Syncrowave 250 TIGRunner
    Miller 210 MIG
    Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Ford and GM Dyno-tuning on the Moblie Dynojet trailer I built.
    VMP Tuning.com

I bought a MM251 from a garden center that was going out of busness and it came with 10 pounds of free topsoil inside. I tell people I got it dirt cheap. It lived in a drafty shed and the wind and use packed it with dust. 30 min with an air hose and a paint brush and it looked almost new.

Has anyone added a thermostatic control to an older welder that has an always on fan? I am thinking of doing this to my MM135. With its smaller gun and more flexable whip I often use it for tack welding things up to be followed by the 251. 99% of the time the noisy fan is the only thing in use. A cheap ajustable in line T stat wired to the transformer. where are the temp sensors located on the MIller Migs that have T stat controled fans?
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.