Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ooops in answer to your question it is solid wire, not flux core.

Laura

I'd think the 10# spool would work better since the spool is bigger. I've never used the small 1# spools, so I can' comment.

Laura,

In answer to your question, yes, I have had better luck with the 10# spools.

Sounds to me like you got a bad spool of wire. Wire should not overlap on the spool. Will definitely cause it to bind/hang up.

I'd try a different spool of wire before I went any further.

The problem you're experiencing is much more common with cored wire than it is with solid. Generally comes from too much pressure on the drive roll thereby slightly deforming the wire.

Let us know if a new roll of wire solves the problem. If not then we do need to start looking at the liner.

Sorry. Bad manners. Welcome to the board. Think you'll find some great people here who are ready to help.

All of these suggestions, but I didn't here anyone ask if the correct drive rollers are being used. if the grooves in the rollers are to big it won't push real good.
    Martin
    Welding Technician
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector
    AWS Certified Welding Educator
    ASNT ACCP Level II VT/GI/D
    www.linkedin.com/pub/martin-cramer/20/b36/940/

Yes I double checked and I am using the correct roller slot for the .030 wire.

Thanks
    Laura

wile i only had it happen once, my LWS said its common for the 10" spools to be badly wound. they recommended i pull of about 20ft of wire then reset the tension and try again. if that did not fix it i could bring the spool back in for a new one.
    in my case taking off 20 ft did not do any good. they exchanged the spool for me at no charge.
    i have had small snags that cleared up fairly quickly but only one roll that was a real problem. i only use the 10 rolls in mine, too much trouble to keep changing the little rolls.
    do you know how to properly set the tension on the wire, and is it the right drive wheels??? you probably do but just encase you are not shore ??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    wile i only had it happen once, my LWS said its common for the 10" spools to be badly wound. they recommended i pull of about 20ft of wire then reset the tension and try again. if that did not fix it i could bring the spool back in for a new one.
    in my case taking off 20 ft did not do any good. they exchanged the spool for me at no charge.
    i have had small snags that cleared up fairly quickly but only one roll that was a real problem. i only use the 10 rolls in mine, too much trouble to keep changing the little rolls.
    do you know how to properly set the tension on the wire, and is it the right drive wheels??? you probably do but just encase you are not shore ??
    that is what my LWS told me to do cause it keep doing that

Inferno Forge

Chris

I have never used one of the small millers, only the 250 amp plus models. Does it have any type of tension control on the spool. Some of the ones I have used did, or had a wingnut and washer to retain the spool, if you got them too tight they would bind up. I've gone through hundreds of spools of wire and never experienced what you are. As for Forney I won't use anything with that name on it. Never had good luck with anything of theirs I tried. Tried their 7018 once because they were long rods. It bugholed so bad I threw it away. I pretty much use lincoln wire (only thing I can get consistently). Have had good luck with Harris and ESAB as well. As far as spool size goes (I have used 2ib, 10, 12 and 30lb spools) it depends on how long it takes you to burn a spool. The larger the spool the cheaper the wire per lb, but if it starts to rust before you finish it you are looking at junk. Stay away from Harbor Freight. I got one of their spools of .023 just to see how it performed. Half of it is still on the spool due to rust. I use it for a paperweight in the shop, LOL. I would try a different brand of wire and see if that helps. My partner (business type) had a spool of Lincoln on his that was hanging up, swore it was the wire. I went to checking it out and found rust on it. Seems it had been sitting for over a year (not good in Louisiana). Put a new spool of wire on and it has worked great ever since.

Laura,
    Did your problem get solved? Did you check your liner? Best way to check if you have a clogged liner is run about 3" of wire out of your gun, remove the contact tip and release the tension of the drive rolls. Take a pair of pliers and see if you can pull the wire easily thru the gun and cable. If it pulls hard then you need to replace your liner. This accounts for about 80-85% of the wire feed problems I take care of for my customers. And it's easy to detect and fix.
    Rich Ferguson
    Sales Technician
    Jackson Welding Supply Co.
    "Keep America Strong.....Weld It"
    www.jacksonweldingsupply.com

I had the same problem with my Passport last winter, got condensation on the wire with resulting corrosion. Changed out the wire, still no good, so I then changed the liner and was back in business. Get a new spool of wire, the bigger spool would be my recomendation, and if that doesn't work, swap the liner out. Liner cost about $20 and I changed it in a few minutes, very easy.