Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default 2" receiver hole size

Building a winch adapter to fit in my 2" receiver. I know the hitch pin is advertised as 5/8", but is 5/8" really the drill size used to make the hole or is a slightly larger drill actually used by the industry?

Cool

5/8" is the standard. Maybe yours has some powder coat in the hole...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

if the pin is 5/8 then the hole needs to be bigger than 5/8 like 35/64or 11/16

Default open er up

drill the hole 11/16 just so you know shell fit. wont hert it any being a little on the big size.

Default Hitch Receiver pin size

Hi,
    I have a front hitch on my Exploder and had to weld a license plate holder together, cops told me to get her done. 5/8" drill did the trick for me with paint on it. 1/32" bigger won't hurt with paint on it.
    Trailblazer 325 EFI
    Dynasty 200DX
    SVI 300i cvcc
    Mig 4HD & Mig 2E wire feeders
    Ultra-Pulse 300i Pendant
    EAS-IV Electronic Arc Starter and Plumbing Box
    Powermax1000 G3 Series
    AC-225 Arc Welder

So, you have the receiver, right? And it has the hole in it, right?
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by J hall View Post
    So, you have the receiver, right? And it has the hole in it, right?
    Yes, but the hole is well used. I measured 3 receivers, two hitches and 3 hitch pins. All had different numbers, but since they are all used and may have wear, I thought I would ask. I thought some full time fabricator might read the question and know the answer.

we drill all the ones we make 1/64 over 5/8 works for us.

In structural steel applications, the hole drilled has 1/16" larger diameter than the nominal bolt size. For example, a 3/4" bolt would be drilled 13/16." And the calculations of the connection strength figure a hole 1/8" larger than the nominal bolt diameter to include an additional 1/16" of damage that can happen in drilling and punching operations (AISC D3.2).

However, this practice is necessary mainly due to multiple bolt connections where alignment of all bolt holes would be impossible (due to fabrication tolerances) if each hole were drilled exactly the nominal diameter of the bolt used).

That said, diameter you drill the pin holes depends on the tolerance of the hole location... the more slop, the larger the hole needs to be to accommodate it. At a minimum, add 2 times your location tolerance to the diameter.

If you can locate AND DRILL the center within 1/64", then add 1/32" to 5/8". Or just drill it 11/16" and use the standard the steel industry does.
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by thito01 View Post
    Yes, but the hole is well used. I measured 3 receivers, two hitches and 3 hitch pins. All had different numbers, but since they are all used and may have wear, I thought I would ask. I thought some full time fabricator might read the question and know the answer.
    Now I see where you were headed!
    Jeff