Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Snail "Bullet" Trap

My other hobby besides welding is shooting sports. I was looking on some web page and I saw something called a snail trap. I want to replicate it but make it tons smaller. It is designed for indoor shooting ranges. It works kind of like a one way door. It is composed of a square opening that tapers down to a smaller opening blocked by a one way metal or hard rubber flap. When the bullet enters drum, the flap shuts behind it. The bullet spins around the drum and slows down. I want to shrink it down to a 2'x2' entrance. It needs to survive a .22 LR bullet. Any suggestions on material thickness or does anyone have one of these. I will post pics when I find them.
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Miller Millermatic Passport Plus
    Thermal Dynamics Dragun Plasma Cutter

Protect your seccond ammendment rights! Join the NRA!

Cool

There are some pics already in the forum. Search bullet trap at the top. I just used 4" black pipe welded to a 3/8" plate on a 45 degree angle. The red circle has what is left of a .44 mag slug...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg a.jpg (48.7 KB, 1579 views)
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I work part time at an indoor shooting range.

.22lr will clog up a snail trap in short order.

The soft exposed lead and low energy just smear the lead against the steel.

point45 Welcome to the forum, good to have you with us.

welder_guy if all you are shooting is .22 LR then a standard slant wall trap will work fine. The ones Cabelas and places sell are fairly lightweight steel so they shouldn't be hard to build at all. Some where I have a set of plans for one I got from a buddy of mine. I think he got them thru the NRA bookstore. I'll look but don't hold your breath, its been years since I looked at them. Lord knows where they are if I even still have them.

One thing to remember regardless is to set up some sort of exhaust ventilation if you shoot indoors to remove any airborne lead dust.

Default Snail Bullet Trap

Try this URL and click on "Snail Bullet Trap" about eight items up from the bottom of the left side menu

http://www.parmarng.org/freeidaho/AlSkDjFhG/index.html