Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Speaking of old torches

For those of us here that like the history of welding, here is my current project. The restoration/refurbishing of a 1913-1915 Oxweld W-1. i should have taken a "before" picture as it was in sad shape. The neck was bent and a silver braze cracked. Both valve stems were mangled and one knob missing completely. Threads on the inlet connections were also damaged.

The body was straightened carefully, the braze repaired. New stainless valve stems were made, along with knobs matching the original. Machined barstock teflon packing replaces the original asbestos cord. A seat reamer was machined and the seats touched up. The threads on the inled connection were repaired by making a special die....considering the thread form is not standard, not english, metric, whitworth, BSA, or anything. In fact none of the threads are standard except for the thread on tip....which is M7x1. The hope is to get this finished soon as I am preparing to do some work on a 1920's aircraft....and this would be the appropriate tool.

-Aaron
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Cool

Thats nice me being a big Oxweld fan also. I have about 50#'s of Oxweld tips too...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I take it that the torch is a braze only? No cutting? It is still cool anyways! Like seeing things from the past to see how much things have changed.

Steve
    Dont force it, use a BIGGER hammer.

Linde VI-252C and Linde wire feeder.
    Hobart Cyberwave 300c.
    HH 140.
    Miller Big 40.
    Lincoln SAE 200J.
    Hobart GR-303.
    Lincoln tombstone welder.
    TD Cutmaster 52.
    Hobart Stickmate.
    Miller 211 w/ Spoolgun.
    Lincoln SA 200.

Quote Originally Posted by acwd1950 View Post
    I take it that the torch is a braze only? No cutting? It is still cool anyways! Like seeing things from the past to see how much things have changed.

Steve

Steve,
    Yep Welding, Brazing, Soldering etc. The Cutting version was called the CW-1. What is intersting to note is that the gasses are mixed in the head, not down in the handle like later models. This is an injector type torch. Oddly enough, the mixing chamber, tip design etc.....strangely resemble the Dillon/Henrob/Cobra torch. I am anxious to see how good the flame quality is, after I make replacement tips and a mixer. There is a lot more that goes on in a torch besides just throwing to gasses together and squirting them out of a tip. The engineering detail is truly amazing. To give an idea of length this torch is about 15" long. Not the most delicate thing!
    -Aaron

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Thats nice me being a big Oxweld fan also. I have about 50#'s of Oxweld tips too...Bob
    Hey Bob,
    Any tips for an Oxweld W-45? Its the style that uses a "quarter turn" locking ring on the handle. I think they also fit the purox w-500 and W-90....I think
    -Aaron

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Do you have the cutting version? I would like to see a pic of that if you got one

Steve
    Dont force it, use a BIGGER hammer.

Linde VI-252C and Linde wire feeder.
    Hobart Cyberwave 300c.
    HH 140.
    Miller Big 40.
    Lincoln SAE 200J.
    Hobart GR-303.
    Lincoln tombstone welder.
    TD Cutmaster 52.
    Hobart Stickmate.
    Miller 211 w/ Spoolgun.
    Lincoln SA 200.

Nope,
    Never have found one. Actually...of the 40 some torches I have, I only have 4 with cutting attachments. Never had much use for them, and seeing as I collect the aircraft type torches mostly, they werent very popular or common in that size range.
    -Aaron

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

I threw this in the WW forum this morning, thought I would stick it here too. This was a gently used, and now restored Smith #2 in its original cloth carry-all. I would put all of these in a museum....but they are still on active duty.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder