Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welder myth

Question Welder myth

Well this isn't a miller question but I was wondering about it, From what I know there has been a lot of stir about the stick lincoln buzz boxes have changed to aluminum coils instead of copper like in the old ones? Does anyone know the real story behind this? Thanks

Cool

Alum is cheaper which prob is the bottom line...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Yeh I know I was just wondering cause some said the ones with the aluminum went out easier or something like thatMine still works so I'm happy

Question

i herd all the welder manufacturers are going to aluminum. as for the longevity??? maybe the miller tec's will jump in with some real info on the subject. i have herd miller is also using aluminum in some but no idea if its true or not.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

maybe this answers my question "why is the new MM212 23 lbs lighter than the MM210 was?". I also just checked the spec on the MM252 compared to the MM251 and there is a 21 lb difference there as well. This seems like a big difference to me. If it is aluminum I hope it holds up better than the old aluminum house wiring!

i think the problem with the old house wire was the connection points where aluminum and copper connected. they expand at different rates with heat, that caused the connections to loosen over time. that caused lots of fires from loose connections.
    i'm shore the coper and aluminum cores have similar performance ratings. saving a few $$ on aluminum over copper would be a bad call if its caused a problem with the welders. i'm shore they have been well tested. the lbs change would seem proof the cores have been changed to aluminum.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I think I will just do it the old fashion way and see if mine is lighter than my grandpasHis is like 30 years old and works like it just came out of the box

The alu or copper debate pops up from time to time. Either will work and the machines have been optimized to work with whatever they have inside. It really isn't a big issue with the crackerboxes. Get up to a bigger generator and the differences become a little more apparent. Myself, I would like a lighter machine. I had to pull my T'bolt out from under my table the other day. That was not very fun. I don't move that one very often and was quickly reminded how heavy it really is.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

DDA52, would you worry if your mm210 had an Alu secondary coil on the transformer? This is how the new mm212 is set up, hence the weight difference of 23 lbs. As you say in your last post, they are set and tested to work with what they have, and they carry the same warrenty. In my mind copper would be better. But I already have a new mm212 still bolted to the pallet in my shop, waiting for my new Bernard gun to arrive.

cool congrats on the new 212
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES