Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default New truck body pics

finally remembered to bring camera. I am making an aluminum flat bed for my wife's new work truck and have taken some pics. I started by removing the original 8' bed. I then made the top of the frame staright by using sqaure tubing and then spliting it to the correct height. Then I welded them to a 3/8" piece of flat bar. Its bolted in the original body bolt holes and supported in the same places as the original body. I then ripped a piece of oak and bolted on top of the flat bar. I counter sunk the bolts and painted it all
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Default here is the pics

Forgot to add attchments, so here is a couple
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

Default More pics of truck body

Some more pics of frame
    Scott

Default Last batch for this time

I've got all the cross members on and the main mounting brackets made. I used all exsiting holes in the trucks frame and bolted the plates to the aluminum channel. In case the aluminum doesnt hold up I can change the brackets to steel. The rear brackets will have springs inside them but their not on there now. I notiched the ends of the cross channel pieces to fit inside the channel where the floor pates will line up. i'm going to put the band around the outside next and more braces. I'll post more as I get further. Bed is now off the truck so more welding can be done with out fear of damaging an electronic component.
    Scott

Oh purdy. Make sure to add more pics as you progress along. Is it a gasser or diesel?

Smile

Gas 5.4. didn't want the diesel. The truck will never be heavy loaded and will be driven around a resort town. I'm not a big fan of the 6.0. Even though they run very strong. We have lots of them were I work and have had to work on them often with some pretty expensive repairs. [head gaskets, injectors etc]The old 7.3 did better by us. The new 6.4 the jury is still out. We now are buying the 6.6 duramaxs and so far no issues except lots of instrument clusters. I'm sure this should make the Ford diesel lovers scream
    Scott