Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: air compressor

Even though none of these ideas will achieve complete perpetual motion, many of them may be viable solutions to supplement energy consumption for greater efficiency, so we can joke about it but all these engineering minds here have a good chance of coming up with some good ideas. I give the original poster lots of credit for thinking along these lines and participating on this forum. You should be proud of yourself, keep it up and try to stay focused on the right things as you go through the next few teen years, which are very difficult years that have many, many bad influences along the way.
    Gary
    Ingersol Rand, Makita and Milwaukee Grinders
    Tennsmith Brake

MM-maybe this will give you some ideas

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=18659
    Dylan

RED BIRD WELDING

"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"

HH-140
    Crappy stick welder
    Victor supper range II
    Makita grinder
    more stuff i don't feel like listing.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmeltr View Post
    when it came to designing this i was just looking at impacts in a northern tool book and saw the specs and thought that runnng an air compressor off it would increase performance after a few of you posted I read up on perpetual motion and discovered i would have to make it vibration free so it produces no sound energy, prevent the transfer and production of heat, and have it all sealed in a vacuum to prevent friction with the air which also mean that it would be even harder to do with a car or lawnmower.

MTbob-I did read the wikepidia link,
    metalmeltr: Fantastic! OK, so if you read the wiki information about perpetual motion, why do you think your closed loop air compressor cycle will work? Or, if you really think it will work, why?

Please read more about perpetual motion, take a look at this link:
    http://burtleburtle.net/bob/physics/whythere.html

What a great learning opportunity for you. For sure, I really want to see you think about this project. If you really think your idea will work, why not build it and see what happens?
    MTBob
    Logan Lathe
    Clausing Mill
    Walker Turner Drill Press

I also used to think about these same kind of things. Man when did I get old?
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Default It has a name, your nemesis

It is called the law of diminishing returns and it is a secondary principle to the laws of thermodynamics. So if you do build a perpetual motion machine, I will have to pull you over and write you a citation for breaking the law.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

Quote Originally Posted by MTBob View Post
    metalmeltr: Fantastic! OK, so if you read the wiki information about perpetual motion, why do you think your closed loop air compressor cycle will work? Or, if you really think it will work, why?

Please read more about perpetual motion, take a look at this link:
    http://burtleburtle.net/bob/physics/whythere.html

What a great learning opportunity for you. For sure, I really want to see you think about this project. If you really think your idea will work, why not build it and see what happens?
    I no longer think it will work because sound and heat are produced and this is energy that is not staying within the cycle and the machie would eventually come to a stop