Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default kids ferris wheel need help with plans (pics inside)

i want to build this kids ferris wheel playground. cant find any information about them.

(pictures here)
    http://www.shopoutfitters.com/Univer...eel_movie.html

anyone have any ideas? i have a hossfeld #2 bender. i need help with the drive system, etc, etc, etc

Cool

Looks like a good way to get the wife in shape
    It looks like not much bending the tubing looks like mitre cuts and welded. The drive can't be too hard to figure out once the wheel is up and turning...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

The kids sounded eerily similar to tuning through heterodynes on a single sideband radio.
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

As far as the drive, looks something like a bicycle. Start searching the trash for someones discarded bike. Then 2 90deg gear boxes or some worm gear setups, and some bearings and shafts.

I'm betting a quick hunt thru Graingers or MSC's catalogue will get you the gear boxes. Not inexpensive to be sure.

Looks like a cool project.

Actually thinking a bit more if you turn the "engine" 90 deg you could completely eliminate the need for the gear box.

Pedal shaft direct drives lower gear at bottom of tower. Chain and sprocket (Like used on a bike turned vert)used to transfer power the main wheel. You will need to enclose the chain for the kids safety.

Another thought, be sure an mak a provision to lock the unit so the kid on the bottom can get off while the kid on the top is hanging, and you may need to think about a way of ballasting the seats to help even out kids of unequal weight.

Looks like a great project. I can't wait to see picts if you build it.

Quote Originally Posted by ncarey94550 View Post
    i want to build this kids ferris wheel playground. cant find any information about them.

(pictures here)
    http://www.shopoutfitters.com/Univer...eel_movie.html

anyone have any ideas? i have a hossfeld #2 bender. i need help with the drive system, etc, etc, etc
    I would imagine that they sell them on the web site where you got the idea.

Call 1-719-676-5555 they have all the info you need

Default Beautiful Idea!

That is one of the nicest 'toys' I have ever seen. I don't have any kids but it would sure do my wife good to spend about two hours a day on those pedals. Maybe a couple of sand bags would suffice to replace the kids.

forget about pedals go to www.surpluscenter.com and get what the call a gear motor they are an electric motor with an atached gearbox, they are avalible in diferent horse power and rpm ratings. I would imagine for that you would want between 20 and 50 rpms. So you dont have to worry about weather on the motor get one of the rubber isolated couplings for hydralic pumps and make a guk isconect for the motor, run a GFCI outlet out to the play ground and plug the motor in. Be sure to ancor the feris wheel so it doesnt tip

Quote Originally Posted by FATFAB View Post
    I would imagine that they sell them on the web site where you got the idea.

Call 1-719-676-5555 they have all the info you need
    Actually I don't believe they do- there was a post a while ago and SO stated that they do not have any plans for the projects shown on their site as they are Customer submitted.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

I got to looking on suplus centers web site and the gear motor within the range of 20-50 rpms had littile torqe out put so this what I ecomend, if you are serious aout this make the whell and on the center axel temporaily porvide a means of puting a trque wrench on the wheel to deterime how much torque it will take to get it moveing(this will be he hard part once it gets spinning citrifical force will keep it moveing somewhat. When testing it test with about 150lbs of sand bags per seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Actually I don't believe they do- there was a post a while ago and SO stated that they do not have any plans for the projects shown on their site as they are Customer submitted.
    Well shut my mouth

Sorry!

For the right inducement I design and deliver a set of shop drawings