Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default TIG Titanium and zirconium bend tests

welp let me know what you guys think. It was the first time I have ever welded and im only 17 so please go easy on me.

now to the procedure first thing was to prep the plates file down the bers on all sides then wire bush all sides next was wipe down the plate and filler rod with acetone. after that I set up my backing and trailing block purges . now with ti and zr you cant let eny carbon or oxygen into the weld pool thats why you use a purg backing and trailer. with this you can see that my welds are all silver color witch is good eny color is a no no! now there is some color on thies but it is not on the weld but on the parts where the Trailing shield did not cover. now if this was say arospace stuff that calls for no color so these would not pass but most of the time when you doing arospace work you are using a 100% arogon purge tank so that you dont have to worry about a Trailing shield not covering all off the plate that is above 700 degrees.

zirconium face

zirconium face

zirconium root
    Millermatic 135
    Syncrowave 200 with coolmate 3
    Hypertherm powermax 30

were I am when I am home
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5/IMG_7413.jpg

zirconium root

Titanium face

Titanium root

Titanium face
    Millermatic 135
    Hypertherm powermax 30

were I am when I am home

Is there something wrong with the welds?
    Looks like you did good, real good!!!
    Be safe
    Jeff

Give more than you get and
    you will get more than ya need.
    This is true for the good and bad
    that life puts out.

Would you mind reposting the first post without pictures so we can read it? Thanks.

welp let me know what you guys think. It was the first time I have ever welded and im only 17 so please go easy on me.

now to the procedure first thing was to prep the plates file down the bers on all sides then wire bush all sides next was wipe down the plate and filler rod with acetone. after that I set up my backing and trailing block purges . now with ti and zr you cant let eny carbon or oxygen into the weld pool thats why you use a purg backing and trailer. with this you can see that my welds are all silver color witch is good eny color is a no no! now there is some color on thies but it is not on the weld but on the parts where the Trailing shield did not cover. now if this was say arospace stuff that calls for no color so these would not pass but most of the time when you doing arospace work you are using a 100% arogon purge tank so that you dont have to worry about a Trailing shield not covering all off the plate that is above 700 degrees.
    Millermatic 135
    Hypertherm powermax 30

were I am when I am home

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought your suppose to grind the test Pc. flat.

Thats what I did back when I did my cert.

We then put an acid to show where the weld was and that whwere it was bent.

Thats some pricey material that your learning on.

Last time I bought titanium it was approx. $ 116.00 a Lb. for the filler wire.

welding coupons are supposed to be ground flush, with the grinding marks going long ways across the coupons. I see one coupon looks like it opened up a little, but the picture is blurry, so I cant be sure. Next time grind them flush like I told you above, and then bend them. In every shop I've been in, if you bend out without grinding flush properly, you fail, no questions, but QA would of caught that and then instructed you to properly prepare the coupons. I was taught how to tig weld titanium by a Nasa certified welder in a machine shop called triangle of technology in pensacola florida, and when we welded titanium, we tig welded it in a 100% purged closed enviroment box structure. I learned allot from that guy, he was about as good as they come as well.