Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default My latest BIG project

my latest project, it is an arch that will go above the entrance of a park here in Washington. hope you enjoy the pics, let me know what you think

http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/r...20Park%20Arch/

~Aaron Engstfeld
    Engstfeld Welding

Wow, that is big. Nice work, especially the welds. Too bad it's going to fall apart in about 350 years!

thanks, its going to get powder coated so hopefully that will keep the moister out of it, but **** a job is a job

Thanks,
    Aaron Engstfeld
    Engstfeld Welding

Beautiful!

My constructive criticism is as follows...

*I would have MIG welded it to save time and $$$.

*I would have hooked the welds all the way around the letters. The coating isn't likely to seal that crevice very well. Moisture is going to condense inside that crevice and it will ooze a small amount of rust. It's going to be a purchase point for water infiltration.

*I would have tried VERY HARD to talk the customer out of powder coat. Once water finds a way into powder coat (and it will... been there, done that), it will get way up under the coating from capillary action and the result will be large flaking in 10 years. When that day comes, the owner will have minimum wage handymen paint over it with rollers and brushes and, God forbid, probably latex paint...

I prefer a polyurethane enamel for outdoor items that don't require the abrasion resistance of powder coat because it doesn't support water infiltration like powder coat.

Anyway, great job. We'd like to see the pictures after it's installed. Are you going to install it yourself or will the park authorities install it?

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Very nice work,I'm thinkin you would get better longivity if ya flap disc the hard edges of the letters.I don't know much about powder coating but I'm pretty sure it would fill those small gaps just fine. If ya don't powder coat it you'll be wanting to put a epoxy primer on first,once agine very nice.

That looks like it was tough to build!!!
    Nice job, getting the curves of the letters to fit, man, very nice.
    Be safe
    Jeff

Give more than you get and
    you will get more than ya need.
    This is true for the good and bad
    that life puts out.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    Very nice work,I'm thinkin you would get better longivity if ya flap disc the hard edges of the letters.I don't know much about powder coating but I'm pretty sure it would fill those small gaps just fine. If ya don't powder coat it you'll be wanting to put a epoxy primer on first,once agine very nice.
    from my experence which is not expert in nature the electrostatic charge used to lay down powder coat likes sharp edges. The powder tends to form thicker builds on outside corners but the down side it is tends to form thinner builds in inside corners or slots.
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Quote Originally Posted by spotsineyes View Post
    Wow, that is big. Nice work, especially the welds. Too bad it's going to fall apart in about 350 years!
    I second that notion.....it's one STOUT looking sign...NICE JOB
    Jim
    Welding in Crete
    Syncrowave 350 LX
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180 w Spoolgun
    Miller Gold Seal 155
    Miller Elite welding helmet
    JD2 Tubing bender with Hydraulic conversion
    Evolution Raptor15" SteelDry Cut Saw
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Some really cool hammers BIG and small

thanks for the opinions, i am not putting it in myself, but once its up ill take another couple pictures for you. I tryed talking the customer out of powder coating and maybe using thinner material, i lost on both arguments.

Thanks,
    Aaron Engstfeld
    Engstfeld Welding

Nice job!!! Its always been my goal to make some sort of public artwork. The most public thing I have made is a sign for a company called pakit liqudators.
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Miller Millermatic Passport Plus
    Thermal Dynamics Dragun Plasma Cutter

Protect your seccond ammendment rights! Join the NRA!