Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Wondered if anyone else had these two books.

I purchased a couple of books today and was wondering if anyone else had them or had read them before. One is Sheet Metal Fabrication, techniques and tips for beginners and pros...by Eddie Paul. The other is Perfomance Welding Handbook, 2nd Edition...by Richard Finch. I'd like to know what you thought about these books if you had read them. Thanks.
    Bobcat 225
    Radnor o/a
    An assortment of
    other tools and toys.

The one DANO!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigiron View Post
    I purchased a couple of books today and was wondering if anyone else had them or had read them before. One is Sheet Metal Fabrication, techniques and tips for beginners and pros...by Eddie Paul. The other is Perfomance Welding Handbook, 2nd Edition...by Richard Finch. I'd like to know what you thought about these books if you had read them. Thanks.
    Performance Welding,
    King of the box store welding books. Written by the author of corvair books and how to modify an automotive engine for aircraft use. Largely dis-credited in the aviation world as the material he pushes in the book is not supported by the FAA, or any other engineering text. His book actually does contain some incorrect historical and technical information, as well as some thats on the "fringe" of being truthful. Other then that its got some good pictures. Questions were also raised a while back about some connections he had with the only filler metal supply company that made a filler he said is a "must have" for 4130 welding. Again, to quote a famous and well respected aviation weldor, " Among serious and professional aircraft weldors, Finch is taken with a grain of salt". So in the end, probably a good book for the guy stating out in his garage, but not a source of technical information.
    -Aaron
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Default Well...

I guess I could have just saved my money then. Granted I am out of my backyard, shop and the pick up, when I get done with it. I'm not building skyscrapers or race cars. Just the little stuff right now. I would at some point like to learn more about tig welding. Working a full time job though kinda limits me with my scheduling and working around the house and doing other odd jobs. Really the only things I know are moderate stick, mig that I have not done in about eight years, and o/a cutting. I'm just kinda fishing around with books for some good information to study up on for later trying out tig, and to brush up on my mig.
    Bobcat 225
    Radnor o/a
    An assortment of
    other tools and toys.

The one DANO!

Naw I think you will find it useful. Just disreguard any subjects that seem controversial. Primarily the subjects of 4130 welding and brazing.
    Really other then that its just fine! Filler metal charts are kind of odd though.
    -Aaron

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Thanks Aero. I guess I'm doing it the old way. The learn as you go approach. LOL!
    Bobcat 225
    Radnor o/a
    An assortment of
    other tools and toys.

The one DANO!

I agree that Finch's book is better than nothing for the person starting out. It does have some "quirky" parts that confused me for quite a while.

As far as tig, OA welding is a great starting point and if you already have a set of torches you may be all set. Basically the difference is that you use the flame rather than the arc to melt the steel. Learn heat control and filler manipulation on OA and tig will be a breeze. That said I'd by a tig to start rather than an OA set if you don't already have one.

Don't forget local votec schools and CC. They frequently run night classes on welding. My local tech school runs them 1 night a week for 10 weeks, 6-9 pm on Thursdays for mig/ tig, tues for stick. For $200, it's a steal since they provide the rods and some steel. I raided their library for books with my tig instructors permission before class. I found a few useful things, but mostly hands on with someone who knows their stuff is the way to go. I learned more in 2-3 classes than I did in years of teach it to yourself. Wish I had listened to my friends years back and done it sooner than I did.

In my area a couple of places also offer intense 2-3 day classes. Usually for a specific thing say structural mig or ss tig, they do also do " beginner" classes. Mostly this is to get a welder thru a specific procedure that they need to test for at work. The price IIRC ran about $250-350 and they provided limited rods/ material, sometimes just what was needed to do the coupons, other times quite a bit, depends on the class. I've thought about taking a couple of days of " vacation" and doing their tig alum class.

performance welding handbook is a good one.
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Miller Millermatic Passport Plus
    Thermal Dynamics Dragun Plasma Cutter

Protect your seccond ammendment rights! Join the NRA!

If you're looking for good reference books on GTAW and GMAW, I'd highly recommend ordering the Miller Student packet. The tig reference is excellent as is the book on mig. The $25 (shipping incl) is the best money you can spend for quality material.

If the new posters to this board read those two references, 90% of the newbe questions would not need to be asked.

Just go to the resources tab at the top of the page.

Finch is wrong a lot of the time. He seems to see the entire welding world (and like I'm so fond of saying- it's a big and broad world) from the frame of his limited personal experience. But he's wrong on a lot of info he puts out.

You, or anyone that wants factual info on welding should look closely at the very inexpensive books available from the Lincoln Foundation. Tons of real world, backed by extensive research, information for very few dollars.

JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Yep pretty much,
    If you want arc welding, both lincoln and Miller haver great technical books.
    If you want OA get a copy of "the oxyscetylene handbook" by Linde (now esab).

Unfortunately as we all know, its not always the right information thats spread, its whats sold the most. And unfortunately this series of books is everywhere! About the only place you dont see them is in school...or an engineers desk...hmmmm.

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder