Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Granite Island

Default Granite Island

I need to know your opinion. Would 2" 14 GA box tubing be sufficient to support a 44" piece of granite for a kitchen island? The island will be fully supported similar to the structure of a welding table. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kiwi; 02-02-2009 at 12:30 PM.

I wouldn't hesitate. The attached pic is a conference table that I built the frame for. It's 2x2x14 ga for the top frame and legs and 1.5x1.5x14 ga for the lower support. The top frame also has 2 pieces that run across the short way to support the granite. That granite top is about 4 ft x 6 ft. The table is rock steady. The table is located in the granite seller's showroom. BTW, the blue chairs have been replaced.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim-TX; 02-02-2009 at 12:29 PM.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-TX View Post
    I wouldn't hesitate. The attached pic is a conference table that I built the frame for. It's 2x2x14 ga for the top frame and legs and 1.5x1.5x14 ga for the lower support. The top frame also has 2 pieces that run across the short way to support the granite. That granite top is about 4 ft x 6 ft. The table is rock steady. The table is located in the granite seller's showroom. BTW, the blue chairs have been replaced.
    Thanks Jim....WOW that was fast!!

Very nice work I might add!!

I think that would give you a good sturdy surface, No problem as long as you have good welds.

My back ground is 20 years of doing this type of work, building and designing things.

I would however design some leveling pads that screw into the bottom of the legs to keep it from wobbling.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    I think that would give you a good sturdy surface, No problem as long as you have good welds.

My back ground is 20 years of doing this type of work, building and designing things.

I would however design some leveling pads that screw into the bottom of the legs to keep it from wobbling.
    Portable Welder (or anyone else): On this kind of box frame design, what methods do you use to get the legs parallel and cross members perpendicular to one another? Also, when tacking a leg to the cross members how do you keep a tack weld on one side from pulling (tilting) the leg when the weld cools? Any tips would be appreciated.
    MTBob
    Logan Lathe
    Clausing Mill
    Walker Turner Drill Press

Put diagonals on it to prevent racking. Otherwise, a failure mode like this may happen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEaqfpqLBK4

Without diagonals, you are relying on every conection to be a moment connection, and this makes the welds between legs and the top horizontals a critical weld.

Addition of one diagonal in each plane defines a rigid shape relying only on pinned connections.

In the video above, the structure racked just a little bit from the impact and this overloaded every connection because they were not moment connections. Scale that down and imagine hitting your counter with a hand truck or maybe during a "heated family scuffle."

Here's another failure due to lack of diagonal bracing or moment connections (you've got to have at least one)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAOVkKWNfdo
    Last edited by Bodybagger; 02-03-2009 at 01:33 AM.
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Theres nothing complicated about this, Use a flat table and a square no other braces needed unless for temporary use.

Just tack the unit together and keep checking things.

The bottom of the legs will warp in slightly maybe an 1/8" at most.

Use a bottle jack to spread them back out if its that criticle.