Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: bert/tig kit

Default Where's The Plug!!!

Yeah, it p's me off, they don't know if you are going to hook up to 3-phase, or single phase, 110v or 220v. Heck, for $3,000, they should GIVE you a plug for each one!!!! After I hooked up my Hypertherm plasma, I expected it!
    I was SHOCKED when my MM251 already came with a plug!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Hi Bert,
    Nice seeing you again at gaspro on Saturday. How about some pics of your brand new setup? By the way, do you know when the AirLiquid tent sale is?

fun4now,
    How do you like the TA-185? There was a Thermadyne rep at the gaspro tent sale. He was hawking for Victor (gaspro carries Victor products), but couldn't talk about ThermalArc (gaspro carries only Miller welders).

Yeah, it p's me off, they don't know if you are going to hook up to 3-phase, or single phase, 110v or 220v. Heck, for $3,000, they should GIVE you a plug for each one
    i always thought the DVI plug setup would be nice for the Dyn200. but like you said its set up to plug into anything so they just let you decide what to get for it instead of making you cut off there plug to install your own. but i still think the DVI plug setup would cover most users needs for it??? from there you could make up a pig tail for whatever else you needed, using the DVI plug as the starter. but it could inter fear with phase use??

jonnymag
    welcome to the board.
    fun4now,
    How do you like the TA-185?

i'm very happy with the TA-185. many members here and on other boards are also happy with it. it seems to be a good sturdy little TIG unit. if you are thinking of getting one you should look into service options in your area. i have herd they are not as easy to find as one would think but it may be getting better. just the same you should look into service options be for buying any tool.
    if its for home shop hobby use i think its a perfect match of options and $$ . if its for work to keep the family fed, i think i would feel better with a Dyn200DX.
    if you do get a TA-185 check all the plug connections to inshore they are tight. the inside of my Dyn's connectors were loose as were most of the rest of the cable connections. so take a minuit and tighten every thing up. i added a copper ring to the inside of my dins connector to help keep the wire solid so it would not spread out from under the crimping stud. in my case i melted the end of the wire arcing due to it being lose till it started only giving me a HF spark and no weld spark. then started giving me a low power code and shutting down.
    i used a starter wire end crimp cut to make a ring to hole the wire in place wile it got crimped and its great now. but all the cord connections need checking on all welders i would suspect, just as a safety thing if nothing else.
    i attached some pic's to show you what i am referring to.

i would definitely buy the TA-185 again in the same situation. i recently started learning to stick weld and its been great for that also. there is no 120V option on the TA-185 but i'm ok with that i just needed to be able to run it off a 30Amp circuit. i already had 240V in the shop for my air compressor.

so far i have used it for
    TIG on:
    sheet steel, sheet SS, aluminum square tube thin, some thicker about 3/16" aluminum chanel.
    stick on:
    almost 1/4" steel plate.
    all in all i have had great results in every thing i have tried it on, keeping my skill level in account as i am still very new to stick. but the rod's burned great, i just need to learn to control them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Spy for Thermadyne???

WOW! What is this, a commercial for thermadyne??? Pretty hard plug for them, eh?! This is a MILLER website!! If you want to go to the THERMADYNE website, click on the link below:
    http://www.thermadynetraitor.com

Jonnymag, welcome to the site, but hey I already know you glad to see you and Tom there!!!! You are very aware that I push Miller, so don't listen to James Air Liquide tent sale/classes, I'm not sure, but it's usually once a year. Last one was a couple months ago... Call them up. I work 2 streets over from them...
    I'm not late...

hey i'm all for Miller and would love to have been able to get a Dyn200. i just could not swing the $ for it. as i don't need all the extras it has like the 120V the TA-185 was a good option for me. he asked so i told him how i like it.
    there are lots of TA-185 owners on the hobart board also if you want more feedback. or start a thread " how do you like your TA-185 " and see how many answer it. its a very popular option for us hobby guys. like i said if its for your day to day job feeding the family, the Dyn200DX is definitely the way to go, heck if you have the $$ the Dyn200Dx is definitely the wat to go. i just don't have the $$
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

fun4now,
    Thanks for the comments on the TA-185. I was originally thinking of getting something like the Miller Maxstar 150 kit, but then I figured I might want to work with aluminum or bronze too. So the TA-185 sounds like a good one in terms of cost-benefit.

No, not a pro. I just took a class and learned to tig for the first time a few months ago. Wanna guess who my instructor was?

Anyway, I'm going to have to check out their website. Or maybe see if Air Liquide carries them.

Bert,
    Yeah, yeah, I know. Miller is the best. And I'd definitely buy one if I could find a way to justify paying double or triple for something I'm only using as a hobby. Unless you can convince Tom to buy me a Dynasty

Default JonnyMag

yeah,yeah,yeah...bite me I'm gonna go over and hook up the dynasty. Once I get that going, I'll help you some more. Jeff is the expert with bronze, but I don't have any props to play with right now We can ask him for advice! When you get your tig setup (long as you switch and get the Dynasty), you know I'll be more than glad to help you one on one
    I'm not late...

JonnyMag, one thing about Air Liquide, service isn't as good as Gaspro and Miller. Just a warning!
    Just my .02
    (Do you mind driving all the way to Campbell Industrial Park?)
    I'll post some pics for all you to see what my new toy can do
    I'm not late...

JonnyMag, one thing about Air Liquide, service isn't as good as Gaspro and Miller. Just a warning!
    Yeah, I'm definitely going to check out the service plans before I buy anything pricey. Might be a while before I actually get one anyway. And if it's a Miller, I'm probably going to have to do it piece meal like you did With a kid in college, I don't have an extra 6-8 grand just lying around.

Do you mind driving all the way to Campbell Industrial Park?
    My family lives out in Ewa and Waipahu, so what's a couple of more miles.

Service plans, shmervice plans...they don't come forward and ask me if they can order it for me, and when they do, they lose the paperwork
    I'm not late...