Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: bert/tig kit

DG is good people to deal with. i got a few samples from them so i would know what a properly ground tungsten should look like. when i first started all the "grind it to 30% and flatten the tip.030" was all greek to me. so a few samples made it much easyer to know what to grind to look like.
    then i orderd 50 so i would have plenty on hand.
    the TRY-mix are nice but a bit pricie.the 2% works great for all my TIG needs be it AC or DC so its easyer to just stick to it.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default TIG Pen

[QUOTE=Bert;
    Samurai Dave:
    asked for the gas lens (saw it and think it's awsome!!!) but they didn't have any in stock! Thanks for the tip/link on diamondground! Pen rod looks interesting, I guess you just start out with about 6-8" sticking out the front of the pen? Is it that much different than holding the rod in your hand, 'cept it's a little fatter handle? [/QUOTE]

Glad you like the gas lens. It doesn't cost that much and will help protect the puddle. Diamond Ground's offer is tough to beat for sampling different flavors and sizes of tungstens.

The TIG Pen is VERY cool. It's not just a holder, it is a feeder as well. Insert the rod down the center until it sticks out the front. There is a roller that presses against the rod. Use your finger to rotate the roller, which advances the rod. Rotate the roller the other direction to have the rod retreat. It is A LOT easier to just rotate a roller to feed rod than to perform the finger gyrations to feed rod. It is A LOT more accurate when feeding lots of rod quickly. With TIG you also have the foot control to deal with, so there is one more body appendage to coordinate to create a nice bead. So now I'm like a drummer with both hands and one leg trying to be in sync. The TIG Pen has reduced my frustration level and advanced my learning curve. Without it I tend to crash the rod into the tungsten or have the hot end stick to some other piece of metal near the puddle. It also allows me to keep the tip of the rod in the gas envelope to prevent oxidation.

Before the TIG Pen I was spending more time regrinding my tungstens (due to crashes) than welding. Now I know right where the rod will be, so I can concentrate on where the tip of the tungsten is relative to the puddle; and how much foot pedal to give to keep the puddle fluid.

the tig pens look prity cool. i want to get one one of thse days.
    i cut all mt filler sticks down to 18" to make them easyer to manage.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Phila,Samurai and fun: New 3 Amigos

Thanks guys for the tips and feedback I am going INSANE of not being able to try out my new TIG setup At least I got more info to prepare for differrent things to try!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Thumbs up finaly found the pic's

here are a few pic's of my TIG/Stick welder and cart. you asked if mine was an inverter the first pic should prove aether its an inverter or i have a very large 1 year old son. the other pic's are of the cart encase you want any idea's off it when you build one for your self.
    i tried very hard to get a Dyn200 but just could not come up with the $$ for it, and as the $ kept going up it got harder and harder not only to come up with the $$ but also hard to justify the expense just to play in my shop and learn TIG. at the time i got my TA-185 it was $1739.00 as a complete ready to weld kit (like the Dyn+ cont. kit) with free shipping, wile the Dyn200DX was $2200.00 for just the power source and i would still need to get all the parts for TIG & stick before i could use it (even more $$) so i decided to go with the TA-185. the hole time i was saving up to get a TIG (about 3 years) i intended to get a Dyn200DX but was watching the TA-185 on 56 different welding forum boards. in that time i only saw one with a problem and it was a small one that was an easy fix until the guy dropped it off his work bench wile working on it.
    also many members were getting it and giving it good feedback with the only possible problem being service availability in some area's. so after checking locally to see if i could get one serviced i went with the TA-185. i have no problem getting service here.

if you compare the TA-185 to the Dyn200DX you will see the features are very close to the same. the Dyn dose adjust a little more as in the dyn200 will go to 500PPS on pulse and the TA can only go to 250PPS or some thing like that but they are very close.
    the biggest differences are the TA-185 is a 240V only welder (it comes with a plug) where the dyn200 is a multi Voltage welder starting at 120V.
    the other being the Dyn200 is 200Amp welder and the TA-185 is only 185 Amp's.
    for my uses 185Amps and 240V only was fine and the savings was a big deal on my budget.

well enjoy the pic's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Default Huge BABY!!!

OH MY GOD!!! What the he!! do you FEED that kid
    For some reason, I thought your TA looked different. If I ever ming my Lincoln catalog (I mean...borrow my friend's lincoln catalog), I'll look at what I think it was...
    Well, glas you have a inverter tig. NOW THE QUESTONS WILL START COMING!!!
    I'm not late...

Wow fun, now you're rubbing off one me
    Spelling is getting bad!!!
    I'm not late...

Talking definitely an inverter

hey don't blame your spelling on me. i been using my spell checker a lot more lately.
    my TA is not a lincoln, its a thermal arc. why would you look for it in a lincoln book ??
    my TA is a little taller a little thiner and a lot shorter then the Dyn200. and definitely an inverter.
    i had no choice about the inverter VS transformer i could not feed a transformer the needed power. if i could i would have gotten a syncrowave 200. i think the syncro200 would be an excellent hobby welder for those that cant afford the dyn200. the dyn200 is a lot more welder than most hobby guys will need, nothing wrong with it its a great welder just a lot of $$ for a hobby guy on a budget. the TA was the same $$ as the syncrowave 200 but only needs 30 amps.
    keep in mind i have limited experience with TIG but i will be more than happy to help if i can. needless to say i have read a lot on the subject.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Ok, I was surprised it was purple looking
    thanks James
    I'm not late...

sorry i should have used this pic insted.
    i just used the other one to show off i got a plug with mine.
    Dyn200DX $3000.00 and no $8 plug.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES