Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Searching For The "Perfect" Mailbox

After years and years of mailbox catastrophes, I decided to build the "perfect" mailbox. My criteria was to build a box that:
    - has a frame that will withstand attacks from kids with bats, snow plows & drunks - the box is made of 3/16 plate
    - must rotate so snow plow won't tear off box - see kick shoe on back of post mount
    - is big enough to handle large packages or accumulation of mail for extended period
    - has height adjustment to make mail delivery guy happy - see adjustment on post that can be move to fit car or truck window height
    - has a positive door latching mechanism - I used high strength, adjustable magnet
    - has a way of moving mail that is shoved to back so it is easily accessible - see pull out slide to move mail forward towards door
    - minimizes water entry (using false flooring & overhang on door) - the floor offset from bottom about 3/4"
    - has a substantial flag that won't flop around - used tension washers to place friction on the arm and position restrains on arm in up & down position
    - and cannot be easily stolen.
    Here are the photos of the mail box finally in place. I don't know exactly what the box weighs, it took two of us to mount it. I drove the 4" post about 4 feet into the ground with our post pounder. The box is very slightly tilted to the front to assure water drainage. So far the box hasn't suffered any attacks, but I'm waiting to see what kind of damage a car or truck will get when they hit this thing. At this point I wouldn't say this is the "Perfect" mailbox, but it's getting close. I'm still working on a door locking mechanism that is acceptable to the mail delivery guy. And I'm thinking of putting a small LED light inside the box so I can see what's in there at night. My wife thinks I'm crazy for noodling around with this thing so much... but, that's what happens when you retire and have a Miller Mig Welder (I love my 251!).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MTBob; 01-21-2009 at 04:33 PM.
    MTBob
    Logan Lathe
    Clausing Mill
    Walker Turner Drill Press

Looks good but not perfect. If it was perfect...it wouldn't accept any bills.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Thumbs up "Mailboxes, Etc.........."

MTBob: That turned out great! You put a lot of thought and planning into your design. Hopefully, no one will "try it out." Nice pictures, Colorado? Got to be out west, the sky's too blue!

Dave in Phoenix
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Dang, I knew I forgot something... the bill eliminator. When I get that design feature worked out, I'll be quick to share it with everyone.
    Yup, we're about 80 miles north of Yellowstone Park, near Bozeman.
    MTBob
    Logan Lathe
    Clausing Mill

Thumbs up "Big Sky Country"

Beautiful part of America! Anyone who has ever lived out West knows what I mean by "Blue Skies." Looks like we've got another round of storms headed in by week's end. Washington really got hit last month! Be safe, stay warm!

Dave

As far as a light is concerned get some rechargable D cell bateries and conect them to a small solar panel and make a switch that comes on when you open the door. You can never have too much fun with any high quality tool such as a Miller MIG.

Looks great, I would love to see the kids face that hits it with a baseball bat

Seeing how I plow roads I would like to offer you a suggestion though, with mailboxes being so close to the road and especially being a dark color and so heavy, you may want to put some reflective tape on it. Plowing at night, dark objects are hard to see, I have hit a few myself in the past 31 years, one spun around like a top.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Quote Originally Posted by KBar View Post

Seeing how I plow roads I would like to offer you a suggestion though, with mailboxes being so close to the road and especially being a dark color and so heavy, you may want to put some reflective tape on it. Plowing at night, dark objects are hard to see, I have hit a few myself in the past 31 years, one spun around like a top.
    That's a great idea about reflective tape or reflectors. We've got some mountain passes where the road reflectors are 4' tall because of the snow drifts in Northern Arizona. Believe me, when the cross winds are 50+ mph, and the snow is blowing, they come in real handy! Anybody been to Sunrise Sky Area on the Fort Apache Indian Reservation in the White Mountains knows of what I speak.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by KBar View Post

That is a great idea, I'll look for the reflective tape, makes lots of sense. As an alternative I could install side lights powered with solar panels & batteries and a light sensor so they come on when the sun goes down. ... or, I could stay with the tape...
    MTBob
    Logan Lathe
    Clausing Mill

Quote Originally Posted by metalmeltr View Post
    As far as a light is concerned get some rechargable D cell bateries and conect them to a small solar panel and make a switch that comes on when you open the door. You can never have too much fun with any high quality tool such as a Miller MIG.
    Yup, all work revolves around my MM251, if it can't be welded, it ain't worth doing.
    MTBob
    Logan Lathe
    Clausing Mill