Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tube Notching

Default Tube Notching

I have used a few different methods to notch tube over the years. Some that work great and are worth the time to set up others not so much. Today I needed to notch a 40mm diametre tube to fit to a 100mm diametre tube at 90 degrees. I noticed this free download program that has been around a while and thought I would give it a go "Tubemitre". I punched in the data and printed out the result. Used sticky tape to fix the paper template to the tube and with the aid of an air hacksaw cut away the excess in a few minutes. The result without any sanding is just about good enough to start welding.
    Pretty cool.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

Look at the wastage difference.
    Left is the typical tube notcher tech using a hole saw and the right is with the air hacksaw.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

Default Tube Notching

I could use that!!
    I'm gona look that one up.
    Thank you

Works great.
    Free.
    Easy to use.
    In metric and imperial.
    Any angle interface.
    Hope it helps.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Nice. I just ordered the Notchmaster from JD2. Wish I saw this post two days ago.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

There is the link.
    I thought every one would be using it already & the comments would be like, "been usin it far years"

http://www.ozhpv.org.au/resources/shed/tubemiter.html

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Works in a pinch but if you do any real work you need to have a means of just setting a degree and go. Pretty cool using the math though. I did my first fish mouths with a similar program close to ten years ago, thought it was the bees knees till I used a hole saw based jig, then even better a nibbler style, and now I use the mill. Just gets more accurate and faster.

How much did a bit cost that would notch a 100mm or 4" bite out of a 40mm tube?
    How long does it take from start to finish?
    The tubemitre system with a air hacksaw took about 6 minutes total.
    At a cost of $150 because the hacksaw was a Snap On Bluepoint.
    The room taken up in my workshop is very little.
    As I said this is petty good for what is required to get a really good fit up.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

I only have to notch a few pipes every once in a while. I paid $300 for a P & N hole saw set to use for the job on my drill press. Problem with this is that the hole saws don't match tube diameters which means to get a good fit up you have to file or sand. Also the largest hole saw in the set is 75mm or 3" diameter which means more work after the cut is made to make a good fit up for this project. I could use a linisher with tube diameter spindles and a cross slide table to feed the tube into the grinding belt but they cost $2500 and take up half a car space in the workshop. I could pay $25000 and get a CNC mill or $250 000 and get a CNC laser which would take up the size of a car in the workshop. These certainly would speed up the notching but for the few times a year I have to do this the best bang for my buck is this program and an air saw. It will do any diameter tube at any angle with the least waste, takes up no space in my workshop and costs nothing. If you are doing tube work all the time yep this is way to slow, I agree. But then you would have one of those alternatives and a operator that just notches tube, or have the work outsourced by a laser cutting company.
    Grip it and Rip it

There is this as well.

http://www.metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

I use that once and a while when I'm building tubing projects from scratch. Like merging exhausts.

Skyline Exhaust - Mint Design
    Thermal Arc 185TSW, Lincoln SP135+, 4-post automotive hoist, 2x media blast cabinets, 50 ton press, 80gal air compressor, 4-1/2"x6" bandsaw, 4'x4' Torchmate CNC table with plate marker, Hypertherm Powermax 65 plasma cutter, ultrasonic cleaning stations