Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Red face Thickness X eletrode?????

Hi there,

I'm a Welding beginner and I have a question:

I want to buy a 3/32 electrode and use to weld tube(s) of 0.62 x 1.25 dia. (62 in long) - It is a frame for a Land sail so I can ride on it....

Can I use this electrode on a Arc Welder (70 amp) and safely connect these pipes together? or should I use a thicker electrode?

Is 0.62 enough thickness of metal for this electrode???

Thanks,

Carlos Rudge
    Attached Images Attached Images

3/32 7018 is my favorite rod but you need to burn it at 80-85 amps. you can use 70amp if the metel is thin like sch 10 pipe but you did say .62 but maybe you ment .062 as .62 is almost 5/8 inch. would i do it yes but i weld sch 10 pipe a lot with 7018 and the pipe bends first. i won't use something like 6011. again if it was my ass on flying on the ground i'd go 7018 at 82 amps. ok i'd tig it. but you didn't give that option.

i forgot to put 7018 1/8 is around 120 amps i like it best at 125-128 for 3/8 plate. realy not a option. even 6011 1/8 is 115-118 amps. but i still won't use any 60 rod.

Like the 70A Campbell Hausfeld welder you get at Wal-Mart?

It MIGHT burn a 3/32 7018AC if you are real good, but I see it sticking a lot.
    A thicker electrode will give worse results.
    You are probably limited to 3/32 6011.

The welds on an off-road vehicle are going to be subject to large loads due to shock as well as a great deal of fatigue. If I HAD to weld it with stick, I would only use 7018.

BTW, did you mean .062" wall thickness? Is this 4130 chrome-moly alloy?

I know you're going to use what you've got, so don't let it impale you if it breaks. Also, inspect the welds very frequently to see how they are holding up.

BTW, I like your rig. I have a 16' Prindle Catamaran and an AMF Force5 racing dinghy. I'm sure you enjoy infinity miles per gallon!
    Last edited by Bodybagger; 02-01-2009 at 10:12 PM.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Smile thanks guys

I do surf, windsurf, kitesurf (high tide) and landsail when is low tide!! i'm trying to built a faster, lighter and more rigid frame body using 0.062 and 1.125 dia. walls so i can use to "flyyyyyyyyyy" on the beach. hehehe

I'll post my plans online later so you can take a pick!!!!! all for less than 300 bucks

:-)

thanks,

carlos

If you like building things like that, you'll need to get yourself a TIG welder... ER70-S2 on 4130 chrome moly. Just like airframes. You'll wonder how you lived without it.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Bodybagger View Post
    If you like building things like that, you'll need to get yourself a TIG welder... ER70-S2 on 4130 chrome moly. Just like airframes. You'll wonder how you lived without it.
    Or buy a torch set and gas weld it with RG-45 or RG-60!
    -Aaron
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)