Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry HEL P-1 on a new 200DX

Hi,

Been using a new 200DX for about 40 minutes, received this error. Power cycled the machine and it appears to be working now, however the manual states:

"Indicates a malfunction in the primary power circuit caused by an overcurrent condition in the primary IGBT switching circuit. Contact a Factory Authorized Service Agent if this display is shown".

Is there possibly some function/feature now broken/damaged and needs repair and should I really take this in for service?

Default 200dx

I have also had the "error help1" come up on my welder or shop mechanic thinks the welder knew I didn't know what I was doing and was calling out for help I thought he may have been right but the start stop switch on the torch seemed to be the issue I still get the help thing turning the torch on and off seems to correct it have not had any problems with my 200dx I think its a glitch thing

It's kind of like a breakin period for the precharge capacitors. Some people get the Help 1, others don't. No worries. Usually happens within the first couple hours of use.

If it comes on repeatedly, turn the machine on, and leave it in idle for an hour or so.
    Last edited by cruizer; 02-05-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    It's kind of like a breakin period for the precharge capacitors. Some people get the Help 1, others don't. No worries. Usually happens within the first couple hours of use.

If it comes on repeatedly, turn the machine on, and leave it in idle for an hour or so.
    Could this same thing be happening with my 180 SD when it throws the --1 fault code and quits welding?

Thanks,

Jim
    Millermatic 210 Dual Regulators & Tanks
    Spoolmatic 3035
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller MSW 42 Portable Spot Welder

Differnt codes mean a variety of different things to different welders. Yours I believe to be a frame or ground wire fault, that is back surging the control boards.

How do I fix it ?

Thanks,

Jim
    Spoolmatic 3035
    Miller Syncrowave 200

Jim, without knowing are the variables as to why your machine in throwing a help code, it becomes a virtually impossible to solve problem via the internet.

OK, thanks.
    Spoolmatic 3035
    Miller Syncrowave 200

Default 200dx

I also have a 200dx only 3 months old and twice now had hel-p1 errors. Seems to only happen on dc settings and both times I had to power off and restart the machine to continue welding. The machine gets used daily and sits on idle for periods while Im fabricating or working on other machines. I did notice people said to take the cover of and check connections are tight etc but wouldn't that void warranty by taking the cover off?. I'm thinking I might put her in for a check up so. My warranty stays in tact. Although it seems common to get this error on new dynasty's I'm going to get her checked anyhow.

P.s. my wife keeps getting upset when I keep putting my miller beside my bed of a night time. Maybe she should sleep in the shed and see how she likes it . Lol

In the maxstar and dynasty welders the help 1 can have many causes. Miller tech support has sent us 2 pages of things to look for that might cause a help 1.
    As a machine owner the most important thing you can do. I figure out if anything with the setup or operation of the welder causes it to code. Had a maxstar 200 LX
    in the shop last week. If you turned on the welder with the foot control plugged in you can a help 1. soon as you called for output. But it did not fault with panel control. IT turned out that it would fault any time the output was turned on and you turned the remote pot to zero. Had to use a remote test box to find this.
    WE replaced the front panel pcb and all tests were good. No more help 1.
    For intermittent Help 1. You need to figure what event will cause the help 1. So when you bring it in for warranty repair you can show the tech. This way when he talks to miller you have the best chance of getting it fixed right the first time.
    Glenn 300 amp stick
    Millermatic 35
    L-tec plasma