Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default New Miller Syncrowave 200. Having Issues

First off a little background on myself. I work as a full time maintenace technician for the company that supply the Ford F250, 350, 550 truck frames. I have had numerous welding classes and am very proficient with Stick and MIG welding. I have also had TIG welding instruction. Though I feel I have been more self taught as I practiced over the last few years. I also run a Small Turbo fabrication shop. I build custome turbo setup for late modles drag cars.

Recently my Econtig died on me. I decided to step up to a brand new Syncrowave 200 machine. I am having some issues with it. It seems as I cant get it to hold a steady arc for the life of me. It usually ends up dulling the tungsten. I have it set up DCEN, 50 amps, Med start, Pulsing turned off.

It seems that after I start my arc that it comes in and out. I have a fairly steady hand and have been using the TIG process with the Econotig since early 05. I am lost as to weather I have my machine setup wrong or I am missing something simple.

I weld maily 16 gauge Mild and Stainless steel tube. Ocaasioanlly I will weld soem 16-18 gauge aluminum.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Josh

Here are a couple pics. I am using an 75%/25% Argon/Carbon Diaoxide mix.

Josh Jenkins
    270-303-0531
    www.KentuckyTurboandPerformance.com
    Josh@KentuckyTurboandPerformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by Josh @ KYTP View Post
    I am using an 75%/25% Argon/Carbon Diaoxide mix.
    Switch to pure argon. The tungsten will oxidize very quickly (melt/burn) when the CO2 disassociates in the arc.

For TIG, inert (or is it non-reactive? -- whatever) gasses only. Argon, helium, etc.

Also, what diameter and type of tungsten are you using? At 50 amps DCEN, 1/16" would be the max, and maybe try switching to .040". If the tungsten doesn't get hot enough, the arc will be hard to maintain.

I thought the gas might be a problem. Come to think of it the Econtig started gaving my crap when I went to the 75/25.

I am using the Red tipped tungsten. They are 1/16 dia also.
    Josh Jenkins
    270-303-0531

Smile

Pure argon will fix you right up as has been already stated.

Good luck
    Wheelchair

Josh,

As has been recommended, straight Argon is the gas to use. You should be fine with the 1/16 2% Thoriated tungsten (rated 70-150A DCEN). If you continue to have problems, may want to drop down to a .040 tungsten (rated 15-80A DCEN).

With stainless, I'd also recommend backgassing (purge backside with argon gas) to prevent sugaring.

I most definatley back purge when doing SS. I will be getting all my Tanks refilled Monday with 100% Argon.
    Thanks for the help Guys.
    Josh Jenkins
    270-303-0531

Default Thats right

Quote Originally Posted by phila.renewal View Post
    Switch to pure argon. The tungsten will oxidize very quickly (melt/burn) when the CO2 disassociates in the arc.

For TIG, inert (or is it non-reactive? -- whatever) gasses only. Argon, helium, etc.

Also, what diameter and type of tungsten are you using? At 50 amps DCEN, 1/16" would be the max, and maybe try switching to .040". If the tungsten doesn't get hot enough, the arc will be hard to maintain.
    He's right.
    Helium though, prepare to empty your $$$wallet, it's available from only one place on this planet. thats a place south of Amarillo, TX. I've driven by there many a time.

P.S.
    I looked at the photos. I couldn't tell if you cleaned those surfaces. I would use an abrasive cleaning, and then clean with acetone. After solving the gas problem, clean is everything with tig.
    Last edited by r90s; 08-04-2007 at 11:04 PM.
    Careful with That Axe, Eugene

That is a great machine, just switch to pure Argon and you shouldn't have a problem. C25 is only for MIG

BTW see you are a GEN III shop, same here. I want to get my hands dirty with some turbo fabrication soon. I already have some 6.0 manifolds laying around as well as Gen III header flanges. I just need to find the time
    J & J Speed Shop
    (716) 830-0506
    www.JandJSpeedShop.com
    Jason@JandJSpeedShop.com

Pure Argon fixed everything. Thanks for the help guys.
    Josh Jenkins
    270-303-0531

Lincoln says to use pure argon for aluminum below 400 amps on a Tig.