Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Blackwolf,

I my be wrong, however if my memory serves me correct those Acetolene tanks have a clay mixture in them to stabilize the gas? Laying horizontal could well screw up your regulator?? (someone correct me if I am wrong)

JAT---Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    ....you will have room on the motor end to mount your Acetylene standing up without taking up anymore space past the welder towards your tail lights.
    You misread my post - Acetylene is Vertical or Standing Up.

Also, the Acetylene tanks are filled with a porous material - everything from Charcoal to Balsa Wood (depending on manufacturer) and the Acetylene is stabilized with Acetone

If you use Acetylene cylinders Horizontal (Laying Down) you run the risk of drawing out the Acetone which de-stabilizes the Acetylene and BOOM.

You can also draw out Acetone with the cylinder Vertical (Standing Up) if you exceed 15 psi or the 1/7 hour draw rate.

These are very general numbers and I have seen others argue endlessly for a psi or two, but these numbers have kept me safe for many years.

Hope that explains it.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Default I think I may have the welder/tanks position worked out.

Ok. I have the bottom of the bed framed out. I think I am going with the welder against the cab, controls facing driver side. The oxygen tank laying down about two inches from the machine, with the acetylene tank standing in its rack at the valve side of the oxygen tank. I will have a tool box built on top of the pasenger side for grinder, drill, and other misc items. The back side I was thinking about following Redintn's idea and hinging a flip up/down tail gate with cutting platform in it. I may put other various smaller boxes under the sides where I can for the other small stuff. What do you y'all think about mounting a small boom on the back passenger side corner for lifting some heavier stuff? Nothing really huge, just able to handle around 500 pounds or less. Either hand winch or small electric winch. This rig is for my farm and ranch, and assorted small jobs. I think that with a headache rack and the tail gate set up properly, I could also haul a moderate amount of materials as well...i.e. pipe and square tubing. Oh...the back corners taper in somewhat like a western hauler. Thanks everyone so far who has had some input. The ideas are great.

Now that is a plan, how about a receiver hitch?
    Trailer will haul as well, or did I miss that part?
    Be safe
    Jeff

Give more than you get and
    you will get more than ya need.
    This is true for the good and bad
    that life puts out.

The pipe bumper I have follows the original angles of the stocker. I am going to cut out the old hitch plate and install a class three reciever. Being that the truck is lifted slghtly, I need the drop hitch capability. I think with a little time and care I will have a sweet little welding rig set up.
    Bobcat 225
    Radnor o/a
    An assortment of
    other tools and toys.

The one DANO!