Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Exclamation Small truck help...

Ok. I know this is going to sound a little weird. I have a 1993 toyota 4x4 p/u. It's std cab short bed. I have framed up for a flat welding bed. I have never done this before. I will have a bobcat 225 on the bed next to the cab. The main problem I am having is with my o/a tank placement on such a small platform. The oxygen tank is roughly 52 inches tall and I think eight inches in diameter. The Acetelyne tank is half as tall and just as wide. My main concern is trying to recess the tanks into the bed. I could go outside the frame rails in front of the rear drivers side tire, or behind the tire. I could remove the spare tire from under the truck and relocate to a rack above the welder and use that space for the tanks. The problem with the later two is taking up work space on the rear of the bed. I could try for an angled set up behind the welder on the passenger side, but feel like that would not be right. Can anyone give any pointers on setting up on such a small platform as this?

Put the tanks were ever you can.
    Build a fold down tail gate, all three sides if you want, (side gates).
    That should give you room for a work table.
    Put a fold up leg under the vice that will stand on the ground for support.
    Be safe
    Jeff

Give more than you get and
    you will get more than ya need.
    This is true for the good and bad
    that life puts out.

Not to be a smart a$$ but have you considered smaller tanks? I don't know how much cutting you do, so whether you really NEED big tanks or that's just what you have. I seldom go thru my small set 100 O2, 75 acet. unless I do a lot of heating with the rosebud. I generally use the big 242cf O2 because it costs about the same to refill as the 100cf, but if I travel, the 100cf gets loaded on the truck. I set up my truck to take large bottles in the side box, but it's such a PITA to load the big bottles there I just load it in the back if I have no choice. I also don't know how convenient it is to get fills, My guy is right up the street so its no big deal to swap when I know I am low.

Can you under mount the O2 bottle on the side? ( I doubt you have the clearance at the wheels but its a thought. PITA to remove and reload but it may save space. How about under the bobcat flat? Again a PITA most likely.

It's about a thirty minute ride to swap tanks. These are small tanks compared to what I have seen the rig welders run on there 3/4 and one ton trucks. You have to remember that this is a small platform to be working with. I do like the idea about the tail and side gates. It's a work in progress so I will see what I can come up with. If it does not look too bad when I get done with it, I may post some pics of it on here. Thanks for the help.

what about running the welder long ways the bed and mounting the tanks on each side the welder. or you could notch out the bed on each side mount tanks to head rack next to cab and mount welder right behind tanks. judt thinking out loud.

Just an idea for you...

Make a rack for your Oxygen bottle to lay down right behind the cab, then mount your welder against it - This way you can still service the welder without the Oxygen bottle in the way, and to change the bottle, all you do is slide it horizontally out of the rack.

If you mount the welder with the instrument panel almost flush against the edge of the bed, you will have room on the motor end to mount your Acetylene standing up without taking up anymore space past the welder towards your tail lights.

Sounds like your unit will be a tad on the small side, but hey, we all have to work with what we've got.

Just for grins and giggles, I have been eye-balling up the Nissan Titans up here and I am positive I can rig one up with a deck, a Lincoln Ranger 305G, Oxy-Acetylene, and a small list of tools and still scale it.

No, I am not building a Pipeline rig, but a little truck like that would sure be handy around the yard.

I can dig up some pictures to illustrate my point if you like. Let me know.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    Just an idea for you...

Make a rack for your Oxygen bottle to lay down right behind the cab, then mount your welder against it - This way you can still service the welder without the Oxygen bottle in the way, and to change the bottle, all you do is slide it horizontally out of the rack.

If you mount the welder with the instrument panel almost flush against the edge of the bed, you will have room on the motor end to mount your Acetylene standing up without taking up anymore space past the welder towards your tail lights.

Sounds like your unit will be a tad on the small side, but hey, we all have to work with what we've got.

Just for grins and giggles, I have been eye-balling up the Nissan Titans up here and I am positive I can rig one up with a deck, a Lincoln Ranger 305G, Oxy-Acetylene, and a small list of tools and still scale it.

No, I am not building a Pipeline rig, but a little truck like that would sure be handy around the yard.

I can dig up some pictures to illustrate my point if you like. Let me know.
    Jason,
    Have you read the reviews of the Titan in Consumer Reports? They are not the greatest.
    Thanks,
    Becky
    Thanks Becky

Miller Matic 210

Syncrowave 250

Lincoln Weld Pac 100

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    ....you will have room on the motor end to mount your Acetylene standing up without taking up anymore space past the welder towards your tail lights.
    You misread my post - Acetylene is Vertical or Standing Up.

Also, the Acetylene tanks are filled with a porous material - everything from Charcoal to Balsa Wood (depending on manufacturer) and the Acetylene is stabilized with Acetone

If you use Acetylene cylinders Horizontal (Laying Down) you run the risk of drawing out the Acetone which de-stabilizes the Acetylene and BOOM.

You can also draw out Acetone with the cylinder Vertical (Standing Up) if you exceed 15 psi or the 1/7 hour draw rate.

These are very general numbers and I have seen others argue endlessly for a psi or two, but these numbers have kept me safe for many years.

Hope that explains it.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigiron View Post
    I could remove the spare tire from under the truck and relocate to a rack above the welder and use that space for the tanks.
    If you're considering doing what I think you're considering.... The CVU of your state police (the "DOT cops") is going to have a severe issue with that tank placement.

Run the bobcat longitudinally with your tanks in a step down on one side of the bed forward of your front axle.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

The first thing you should do is to go out and measure everything that you plan to put on the truck and do a scaled drawing.

This may take an hour or so but sure can save you from cutting things back apart.

I suggest running the welder across the back of the cab with the controls facing the driver side and then you should have enouph room on the engine side for both tanks.

But really take some time and draw it up a few ways.

There should also be a way to do a search on mine and many other rigs that we have built.