Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: eye opener

Default GeneL74

I have personally built over 300 trailers in the last few years and have offered help in the design and construction of them, I have also gone out of my way to help some of these guys with obtaining materials and also some of my parts vendors. I have found that in some cases I have come under personal attack by other experts in the field (meaning the guys who have built one, maybe two in their lifetime) and also as soon as I post some info for these guys (meaning guys like the one proudly displaying his trailer) they thank me and then go running to these other sites to question my methods or advice. I have seen one person in particular that tried to bash me here on the Miller site and then offered my advice word for word on another site as their own.

Yes I will still help when asked but I'm a little more gun shy about offering advice or telling people that their ideas stink. If anyone has a question I will gladly offer the best advice, and my best (or worst) experience pertaining to the thread. In the case of this guy and looking at the other projects that he is proudly displaying, I will have to think there is no helping or learning for this guy, he thinks he is doing a fine job on his projects and he will only take offense to the "help" offered. I might be wrong but that's my unbiased opinion. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Dabar,

Remember the old adage, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink".

I have followed your postings and find them both helpful and informative. Keep up the good work. There really are people here who benefit from your experience.

On a side note, you could always save photos of that trailer in your "How not to build a trailer" file.

SundownIII, I really do appreciate your comments about me and my abilities, it means a lot to me when some one can say I have helped them in some way or another. The respect given here on this forum far exceeds that of any of the other similar sites.

By the way,
    I have this pic saved for future reference to show customers, I'll let them know if they want cheap this is what they will end up with, but if they want quality they will have to pay my price. Dave

Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by GeneL74 View Post
    I'm no expert welder or trailer builder, but I would agree with anyone that the trailer is not very well built. What bothers me most about the whole thing (I'm a registered member of the Hobart, WW, and now this board - don't post much though) is how folks are spending more time bashing and making fun of this person, rather then offering up some professional advice as to why this contraption of his is unsafe, and what needs to be done (if anything at all) to make it safe.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I just don't see the point of all the ridiculing when there is an opportunity for those with trailer building experience to help this person understand his mistakes, and how to correct them... This could be a chance to help, while at the same time keeping something unsafe off the highway... So far, not very many members (atleast on the public board) have offered to teach the guy the error of his ways...

Oh well.... Back to lurk mode!

Carry on!

Gene

hey gene,welcome.kind of hot in campbellsville aint it?

I'd like to tell you all a story 'bout a man named Jed.......
    Didn't know how to weld, never kept his family fed....

Good Lord Love a Duck - that thing needs some work.

This sort of thing I've come to expect from this OP. He has read or overheard just enough to believe he knows something. A little information in the wrong hands is very dangerous. No proper welding education, no understanding of input loads or stress applied to the metal. Pretty much a half baked idea all around. I've tried to help the OP in the past but it doesn't seem to help. I've posted it before.... You've got to learn to crawl before you can walk. This OP is trying to run.

Dabar39, you do really nice work. I've admired the pictures you've posted on here for us to view. I surf several sites too and I've been watching the rats scurrying about from site to site as well. Just like you said, either questioning your advice or giving it out as their own. Happens to me too. Seems to always be the same handful of fellows..... Hmmmmm. Go Figure.

Don't sweat it Dave, Just Keep On, keepin' On.

SundownIII, Your posts on this thread pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Later,

I'd like to tell you all a story 'bout a man named Jed.......
    Didn't know how to weld, never kept his family fed....

Black Wolf,
    That's a good one.

And yes they are the same (rats scurrying) people you are not mentioning, but they know who they are anyways, that I'm talking about.

Thanks for the pat on the back. I really appreciate you guys saying good things about me like that, Makes it all worth while. Dave

geez, people should have to take a test before buying a welder.
    Dewayne Sullivan
    Dixieland Welding
    Lewisburg, TN

Some of the people I've run in to should take a test before they buy a cheeseburger

Default That is darn funny, and TRUE.

Quote Originally Posted by monte55
    Some of the people I've run in to should take a test before they buy a cheeseburger
    Yup, if you look into some peoples family tree, you expect to find a wreath or two in the not so distant past.

Later,

My "sister" in North Carolina always said "stupid people shouldn't breed"
    I LOVE IT

"Som of the people I've run into should take a test before they buy a cheeseburger"
    love that one too
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time