Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: eye opener

Default eye opener

Here it is 3 a.m. and I can't seem to fall asleep, so what do I do? I get up and start looking around on the computer at all the welding forums I lurk at. I only post here but do go to the others and look around, never know what you may find or learn.

I found something that really opened my eyes and had to think to myself WTF is this guy thinking. I don't like to bash other peoples work but this guy is all proud of his accomplishment on building himself a trailer.

If I couldn't fall asleep before, I sure as he!l can't do it now after seeing this thing and knowing that some day this thing will be traveling down our highways. Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Default fine trailer

Dabar, I think you are mistaken I'm sure it is a piece of artwork! As you can see the rust on the angle iron and the VERY short tongue they used, it is an ART project, not something to be used on the road! At first I thought you were going to tell us he is using it to transport that mobile home, but now I'm sure he's just going to use it to tow his car Do you still have a link to that site? PM me if you still have it! I'd love to see what he wrote!!!!!
    Hopefully it's a joke, like that one with the hitch on the tailgate of the station wagon !!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Default Dabar39

Oh, btw, I think you may be to blame for that trailer (if the guy is serious).
    Your mantra, is "take a big pile of nothing and make it something big"
    maybe he just wants to be just like you !!!!
    Wanna put your name on that piece of cr*p??!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Are you kidding me????????
    Maybe he/she will only use this to pull the junk it's made out of to the scrap yard???

I think I noticed that trailer on the Hobart forum.

UPDATE:

Here's a link to people talking about the "trailer". Post #6 is the best.
    Last edited by jjsjeff; 08-04-2007 at 07:54 AM. Reason: because I felt like it

Cool

My neighbor showed up with a trailer similar to that one and wanted to make it into a car hauler. I told him to take it back, i wasn't going to even touch it....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default that's where I found it

jjsjeff, That's the place. If you go on there and look at the post by him his signature says "welding isn't for idiots". Who's he trying to kid???
    Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by dabar39 View Post
    jjsjeff, That's the place. If you go on there and look at the post by him his signature says "welding isn't for idiots". Who's he trying to kid???
    Dave
    The welding might be ok, but the design was definitely bad.

I'm no expert welder or trailer builder, but I would agree with anyone that the trailer is not very well built. What bothers me most about the whole thing (I'm a registered member of the Hobart, WW, and now this board - don't post much though) is how folks are spending more time bashing and making fun of this person, rather then offering up some professional advice as to why this contraption of his is unsafe, and what needs to be done (if anything at all) to make it safe.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I just don't see the point of all the ridiculing when there is an opportunity for those with trailer building experience to help this person understand his mistakes, and how to correct them... This could be a chance to help, while at the same time keeping something unsafe off the highway... So far, not very many members (atleast on the public board) have offered to teach the guy the error of his ways...

Oh well.... Back to lurk mode!

Carry on!

Gene

That whole board has become sort of a joke.

Injun joe, Weld_13, Sully2 and a bunch of others just don't have a clue.

I do hope "the welds are solid". They're going to need to be since, if you notice, there are no springs to absorb impact. Hard to believe anyone (even a 13 yr old) would post pictures of that POS as an "accomplishment".