Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bolt covers?

Be safe
    Jeff

Give more than you get and
    you will get more than ya need.
    This is true for the good and bad
    that life puts out.

Not good at explaining things but.... could you take like a small "cup", drill a hole through it for your lag screw. This would serve as a washer for the lag and also give you something to put a decorative cap or plug into.

The reason why I was asking about the attachment detail is that, provided room, it's not usually a bad idea to substitute a small number of large fasteners with a large number of small fasteners. Particularly in wood.

If you can do that, try this... I have used some Torx head lag bolts with great results. Sort of like this:

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/p...500ec3f57e4269

I got mine at 84 Lumber for about $25 per 5lb box. 1/4" shank and large head. The 2" ones might be perfect for you.

The heads are very clean and neat and they look like an old fashioned rivet with a torx in the middle of it.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Thanks REDINTN for the links but none of those will work. pro-dec.com I had looked at previous to posting but they only have caps up to 7/16 and I need 9/16 and up. Someone mentioned lug nut covers and that was a thought but they are way to tall. I need something that isnt much taller than the bolt head like the pro-dec's. On top of all this they want black now too. I may have to spend the money and buy the $5 ones thats only 500 off the bottom line right

Quote Originally Posted by ESSENTIAL View Post
    Thanks REDINTN for the links but none of those will work. pro-dec.com I had looked at previous to posting but they only have caps up to 7/16 and I need 9/16 and up. Someone mentioned lug nut covers and that was a thought but they are way to tall. I need something that isnt much taller than the bolt head like the pro-dec's. On top of all this they want black now too. I may have to spend the money and buy the $5 ones thats only 500 off the bottom line right
    Black? Black is easy if you are up high enough no one will steal them.

Plastic pipe thread caps. Available from a wide variety of sources (like McMaster-carr) for a few cents apiece. 3/8" pipe size is 0.675, and the caps are a tad undersize. A dab of epoxy inside to keep the caps from being knocked off.

Similarly, PVC pipe caps in 3/8" size take paint well and are cheap, and are the same size. (or you could use stubs of 1/2" PVC pipe in a 1/2" cap. ID of 1/2" PVC is about 0.600")

Battery terminal caps might also work, but are probably too large and may be tough to get to stay in place.

I'd suggest trying a few options before comitting, and don't be afraid to use a good dab of epoxy to hold them on.

A search for 'acorn nuts' gets more hits. Altho cap nuts are usually low profile and acorn is higher profile most sites don't differentiate. Something like this seems right priced but the dern things are nickel. I don't how in the world you could make nickel "black". The 9/16ths does seem to complicate your issues a bunch.

http://www.fastenersuperstore.com/st...um=frooglefeed

Default Lag heads

King Archuitectural Metals has lags with decorative heads already attached.