Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default millermatic 135 arcing out at drive roll

Hey folks...I have a little millermatic 135, has been problem free for past 5 years or so...yesterday In mid weld after maybe an hour of intermittent fillet welds, the wire started to melt back to the tip on me...then after cleaning the tip/replacing it, wire stopped feeding altogether. After I opened up the machine, I see that the wire is smoked/melted between drive roll and where it actually enters the liner. Any clues as to why ? I did clip it and re-fed it through, then welded for awhile again...was good...then happened again...probably 4 or 5 times I went through this process. Wasting all kinds of wire!! any help would be hugely appreciated ! Thanks-BobO

BobO,

If the wire is arcing at the drive roll that tells me that the weld current is not transferring at the contact tip where it is supposed to. In my experience the two most common causes are a failed gun or the weld wire is dragging on the case of the machine.

Failed gun: If the crimp on the cable/hose has pulled apart on either end of the mig gun it could cause this.

Wire dragging: If the stub of the wire from where they started spooling it is dragging against the case of the welder it can cause this.

Hope this helps, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
    Kevin Schuh
    Service Technician
    Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

[QUOTE DAVE

You mentioned the machine is 5 years old, and if you've never replaced the liner, might want to. If nothing else to get the "memory coils" out of the gun. I've made it a habit of replacing it, as well as the wire inlet guide, after every "big" spool, or once a year.

Dave[/QUOTE]

IMHO replacing the liner after every big spool is a little overkill. Where i work we go through a 44lb spool of wire a day on average and only change the liner about once a year. Thats assuming you dont run it over with the forklift.
    hh 187.:
    powcon 300 st
    cheap chinese plasma cutter
    miller diversion :

Is the machine sitting on what you are welding??
    If so, the case is grounded to your work and any birdnesting will arc at the case inside the machine.
    Make sure you don't have anything inside tha machine that can rest up against the wire spool and the inside case. That too will cause problems. The other thing it could be as well is a motor assembly insulator that isolates the drive motor from the case could be compromised somehow and is shorting to case.

Good luck
    Andy

Smile Mm135

BobO

Miller Kevin is right. The same thing happened on my MM 135 it was the gun hose crimp thingy. I replaced the gun, it was in rough shape anyway. I don't replace the liner very often, usually only if I mash the whip with something heavy, or it is not feeding properly. Most of the time feed problems on my machine are not caused by a bad liner. Damage to the tip is the usual problem. I have run up to 5 big rolls of wire without changing the liner and only then changed it not because of feed problems but operator smashing it problems. That said i have run probably 50 rolls of wire through this welder with almost no problems, Miller makes a great machine. It was once dropped 15' off the deck of a boat in dry-dock, straightened out the cover plugged it in and it is still working 4 yrs later.

Paul

Red face

down19992000: I realize big shops and pipeliners go through a tremondous amount of wire DAILY, I referenced to HIS MM 135, which might see a "big" roll annually. I was merely trying to help him troubleshoot his problem, and after 5 years, he quite possibly had never changed the liner.

Dave[/QUOTE]

Yeah I understand. I was just saying to change the liner every big spool of wire was overkill. I had a lincoln 135 for 5 years and never changed the liner, but I also make sure I dont kink it or drag it across anything sharp. Hope I didnt get you mad...
    hh 187.:
    powcon 300 st
    cheap chinese plasma cutter
    miller diversion :

Obvious is that the liner IS worn through or somehow damaged...

The long and short (pun) is if it ain't broke don't fix it... keep a spare liner along with other spares/supplies for welding and never leave a job due to downtime.

I keep a second liner and gun (full setup) that is 16' long for the reach jobs and use a 12' for the daily work.

another good tip is, if you can and you use the welder in the same location, get that thing up in the air run the liner down to the work station and stop dragging that thing by the gun from one end of the shop to the other...

"common sense should be a commodity"