Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Help Needed

  1. #1

    Default Help Needed

    Hey Guys,

    Im planning as part of My fabrication project In colledge to buil a set of truck ramps strong enough to support a 6,000Lbs Truck if any one has any blue prints or other plans they would like to share it would be awsome and well appreciated



    Thanks,
    Raymaker!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Salem ,Ohio
    Posts
    3,908

    Cool

    How long and how high?. Like the ones the new car dealers use? If so just go new car shopping and look at them...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago-ish
    Posts
    282

    Default

    You're in colledge, huh?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North of Phila. PA
    Posts
    404

    Default

    Do you need calculations to go with this? A 6000 lb truck is light. A trip to an auto parts store can give you most of the dimentional info you need.

    The cheap auto parts set I had originally worked but were made of sheetmetal and not tall enough for what I wanted. I used to have a set made from 12" C channel. The were more than adequate for my 9000- 11000 lb pickup. They weighed a ton but worked great. The design was similar to the cheap set but made of heavier material. The C faced up like this |____|.

    The ones like at new car dealers are most likely like the ones on our heavy equipment trailer. 3" C channel sides with angle iron cross members. I can easily see that being more than adequate, but more work would be involved.


    Heres a few quick ideas.
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._762941+770743

    Good luck.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern Louisiana
    Posts
    421

    Default

    Look, this is going to sound harsh but it is the same advice I am currently giving to my son who is trying to short cut. Do the homework, if you need someone to run math for you go over to the mechanical engineering department and enlist some help. At work in the real world if I don't have the capability to do something I have to either learn it of find someone who can help me. Not just give me the answers.

    There are a couple of guys on this forum who are constantly looking for someone to do the work for them, don't be one of them. Learn the lessons and do the hard work. I know it's not the PC thing to do or say but step up, you can do this, many of us have and are better for it. Don't be the guy looking for the golden answer because there are plenty of guys who will give you the wrong answer and make it sound right. If you can't do the work then you won't know the difference.

    Take the time and do the right thing. It always pays off.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In wal-mart
    Posts
    460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diamondback View Post
    Look, this is going to sound harsh but it is the same advice I am currently giving to my son who is trying to short cut. Do the homework, if you need someone to run math for you go over to the mechanical engineering department and enlist some help. At work in the real world if I don't have the capability to do something I have to either learn it of find someone who can help me. Not just give me the answers.

    There are a couple of guys on this forum who are constantly looking for someone to do the work for them, don't be one of them. Learn the lessons and do the hard work. I know it's not the PC thing to do or say but step up, you can do this, many of us have and are better for it. Don't be the guy looking for the golden answer because there are plenty of guys who will give you the wrong answer and make it sound right. If you can't do the work then you won't know the difference.

    Take the time and do the right thing. It always pays off.

    Your post is as useful, as a football bat!. Really, their is such a thing as being neighborly, and helping people out from time to time, I do it all the time. If you didnt want to help the guy, then dont post, dont be the guy who thinks he knows it all, and judges someone off the bat thinking this guy is a free loader. How did you learn?, probably from someone else, and Im sure that person didnt keep information from you, he gave it to you willingly, and then you go and pay it foward by being a pecker, good job my man, good job!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    City of Lost Wages (still in the desert)
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usmcruz View Post
    Your post is as useful, as a football bat!. Really, their is such a thing as being neighborly, and helping people out from time to time, I do it all the time. If you didnt want to help the guy, then dont post, dont be the guy who thinks he knows it all, and judges someone off the bat thinking this guy is a free loader. How did you learn?, probably from someone else, and Im sure that person didnt keep information from you, he gave it to you willingly, and then you go and pay it foward by being a pecker, good job my man, good job!
    Amen Brother! AMEN!!!!!

    Semper Fi!
    OhioDave

    HOTsdale AZ

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern Louisiana
    Posts
    421

    Default

    CRUZ,
    In order for your opinion to count I would have to care what you say, I don't.
    You have demonstrated in my opinion no redeeming value in any of these threads. So stay on here and keep taking scraps from others as you can beg for them. There is a lot to learn from open dialog but you constantly seem to be asking for someone to do your homework for you. Yes I was referring to you in my post.

    My post was intended to tell him that HE CAN DO IT. Many have and become very succesful through hard work. I would have thought that would be something you would have learned in the Corp.(thank you for your service) but apparently on your discharge it was lost.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In wal-mart
    Posts
    460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diamondback View Post
    CRUZ,
    In order for your opinion to count I would have to care what you say, I don't.
    You have demonstrated in my opinion no redeeming value in any of these threads. So stay on here and keep taking scraps from others as you can beg for them. There is a lot to learn from open dialog but you constantly seem to be asking for someone to do your homework for you. Yes I was referring to you in my post.

    My post was intended to tell him that HE CAN DO IT. Many have and become very succesful through hard work. I would have thought that would be something you would have learned in the Corp.(thank you for your service) but apparently on your discharge it was lost.


    I asked for all your guys help a while back once, and you translate that into my asking you guys all the time to do the leg work, your pathetic. I do add value to my posts when I help out others in this forum, but you fail to see that, but whatever. You must care about what I have to say, because you cared enough to reply to my post, because maybe, just maybe you realized you were being a @#$% to the author of this thread. I see it allot on this forum, and I could care less for people like that. I will continue to help people out, or what you consider the legwork, because thats the kinda guy I am, cheers buddy.


    Semper Fi, to you too Ohiodave, Yutttttttttttttt!!!!!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MakerWelds6976 View Post
    Hey Guys,

    Im(insert apostrophe) planning as part of My(improper capitalization) fabrication project In colledge(college is mispelled) to buil(build is misspelled) a set of truck ramps strong enough to support a 6,000Lbs(it is lb, not Lbs... see note below) Truck(improper capitalization)(insert period) if(capitalize first word of sentence) any one(anyone is one word) has any blue prints(blueprints is one word) or other plans they would like to share(insert comma) it would be awsome(awesome is misspelled) and well appreciated(missing period)



    Thanks,
    Raymaker!
    I think the reason diamondback jumped on his case is because he asked for help with a college project, yet he was unable to write a paragraph with even 3rd grade level grammar and punctuation. And we would have forgiven every error if he didn't misspell "college." That was as painful as watching a brain surgeon make his incision in the abdomen.

    And it makes us wonder if he's in college because he's had others do his work all his life.

    BTW, The abbreviation for pounds is lb, from the Latin "libra" meaning "scales or balances" which is already plural. Lbs is a redundant pluralization like "Hzs" for "Hertzs" or "cpss" for "cycles per second."
    Last edited by Bodybagger; 01-31-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: I mispeld colledge...

    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 82

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.