Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Custom paint on a welding helmet

I use an old flipper helmet, ya know the one that you snap you head forward and it flips down. Yes I know, Old fart here, dont like the auto dark.
    My question is, those that have painted designs, how does the paint hold up?
    Was looking at some and the OL asked, so I want to know. NO I AM NOT PW, is She around?LOL Got ta love em.
    Be safe
    Jeff

Give more than you get and
    you will get more than ya need.
    This is true for the good and bad
    that life puts out.

for the price of those helments i dont take a chance i will stick with my jackson for 35 bucks the only time i use my joker miller elite that was 380 dollars, is whe I tig

turbo38t Guest

I actually started using my old Jackson shade 11 fixed again. It's in te Nexgen style shell. Using it with tig and everrthing....I kinda like it.....lol. Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by august View Post
    for the price of those helments i dont take a chance i will stick with my jackson for 35 bucks the only time i use my joker miller elite that was 380 dollars, is whe I tig

The design holds up well enough depending on the work you do. The pipe welders and the guys that do alot of overhead welding they do not hold up as well. I do quite a bit of work out of position and mine has held up fairly well.

Mine was painted with House of Kolor and 6 coats of clear after the final colors.

Good Luck
    Paul

Default Paint job

I don't know about the new helmets...I am just getting back into welding. I do have a Jackson that I hand painted some stuff on with model paint from Wal-Mart. Nothing really fancy, but it has held up to a lot of mig while I was building trailers, and stick from working on the odd job from time to time around here. I do like some of the designs that I have seen though. This probably was not much help.

Biggest thing, about painting helmets or anything for that matter is the surface prep. I did a number of them when a company first brought out the skull, and some assorted animal faces.

A number of clear coats does help, Most of the guys that i sold them to didn't use them for overhead welding or nasty jobs they were more for the show off jobs.

I used mine,for doing the lunch room tables in schools and the kids got a charge out of it.

You may have to scuff the surface up to give the paint some tooth to hold on good. any good enamel and or acrylic paint will work.

here's mine,it's mostly a wall hanger now.

Here's one somebody keep changing their mind on what they wanted Color, battle damage etc. and they never finished paying for it or picked up and then moved out of state.
    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Hey. That helmet looks like my avatar! I want one!

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

PTsideshow, them helmets look good.
    Thanks for the replys, I dont plan on getting a painted one anytime soon.
    Be safe
    Jeff

Give more than you get and
    you will get more than ya need.
    This is true for the good and bad
    that life puts out.

Quote Originally Posted by redintn View Post
    PTsideshow, them helmets look good.
    Thanks for the replys, I dont plan on getting a painted one anytime soon.
    Thanks, did about half dozen with different paint colors etc. Did one as a mummy wrap. layered gauze bandages on with an acrylic clear glue. Then painted it, never thought of taking pictures when I did em.(pre computer forum days) he claims that it never caused any problems or caught fire(bandages/glue)

Quote Originally Posted by Bodybagger
    Hey. That helmet looks like my avatar! I want one!
    I believe they are buy bulldog, will take a look tomorrow if it warms up to go out to the shop, Horrible Fright sells a knock off of the skull head one.
    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space