Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default welding preasure tank

depending on the age of the vessel..I have welded many "vibration" cracks in compressor tanks. Just clean the area...stop drill it and tig it. But, if the tank is an older tank, as has been brought out, there more than likely are other stress cracks that cannot be detected and in such case the tank should be replaced.

Im my experience, linear cracks develop on old tanks, probably due to the expansion and contraction of the tank on a daily basis when in operation. Old tanks are out of the question, and I wouldnt even attempt it, but I would weld cracked new tanks all day long!

Default Iraqi welder

This thread and all the talk about welding pressure vessels reminded me of the Iraqi welder...

Quote Originally Posted by 11b View Post
    We took a pic of this guy on patrol. Sadly, you see it all the time. Yes that is a propane tank and yes he lived.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Man,
    This thread makes me rethink my homemade sandblaster made from an old semi-rusty propane tank.

Joe ;
    How much pressure is going to be in your's ?
    I Don't think I would worry about it !

............. Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Default Darwin Award Winner!

Kind of off topic, but tanks and explosions made me think of an item in the news just the other day.
    This kid was stealing gasoline from his uncle's truck, it was early in the morning and dark. He wasn't sure how full his gas can was getting. Being the Darwin Award Nominee that he is, he thought it would be a good idea to see how full his can was by illuminating the gas can with his cigarette lighter. This resulted in burns over 75% of his body.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Wouldn't the proper hydro be more than the pressure it would run at? I also work in a refinery and the hydro's are always more than the service the vessel would see on a normal operating run.
    That's been my experience as well. I worked at an ASME shop operating under the U,R & S stamps. We always hydro tested at well above operating pressure.

Bob,
    Do you work at the refinery off Raff Rd.?
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Default Don't do it!

You are correct to have dirtied your shorts and ceased operation. The most dangerous thing in the world is people that base saftey on the fact that they have never seen something happen. I used to be an air compressor technician for a living. I don't have the pictures to show it but have seen the results of a ruptured tank; It was a mobile unit in the bed of a 3/4 ton truck. The failure destroyed the truck. just for details a gasoline powered compressor has a control called a pilot valve that unloads the pump and controls the engine idler. Pilot valves fail all of the time; That's why there is saftey relief valve on the tank to prevent an over pressure situation. The saftey valve had failed, and to save a couple of bucks the owner installed a pipe plug in it's place. The pilot valve failed soon after and the compressor ran until the tank ruptured. Had the owner not been 300 ft. away using a paint gun he would be STONE COLD DEAD!!! Compressor tanks are assembled using submerged arc process at the factory and hydrotested at 1.5 times max working psi. You cannot duplicate these conditions; Scrap that tank and buy an new one. Remember 175 lbs is pounds per square inch. Multiply 175 by the number of square inches in your tank. Whole new respect!

Quote Originally Posted by davinci2010 View Post
    You are correct to have dirtied your shorts and ceased operation. The most dangerous thing in the world is people that base saftey on the fact that they have never seen something happen. I used to be an air compressor technician for a living. I don't have the pictures to show it but have seen the results of a ruptured tank; It was a mobile unit in the bed of a 3/4 ton truck. The failure destroyed the truck. just for details a gasoline powered compressor has a control called a pilot valve that unloads the pump and controls the engine idler. Pilot valves fail all of the time; That's why there is saftey relief valve on the tank to prevent an over pressure situation. The saftey valve had failed, and to save a couple of bucks the owner installed a pipe plug in it's place. The pilot valve failed soon after and the compressor ran until the tank ruptured. Had the owner not been 300 ft. away using a paint gun he would be STONE COLD DEAD!!! Compressor tanks are assembled using submerged arc process at the factory and hydrotested at 1.5 times max working psi. You cannot duplicate these conditions; Scrap that tank and buy an new one. Remember 175 lbs is pounds per square inch. Multiply 175 by the number of square inches in your tank. Whole new respect!
    Heres a couple pics: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/face/stateface/ca/05ca010.html and http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=176187

Build a smoker or a grill, do not attempt to use it! I just scored a 30 gallon tank from work that started leaking, when we cut it open there was crud in the bottom almost 2 inches deep the entire length of the tank. It had been drained but the drain was off set from the middle and there was always water left in the tank.

-Dan
    Owner
    DW Metalworks LLC
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 8RC Feeder
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
    Hobart Handler 135
    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
    Smith O/A Torch Set
    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....