Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default wrought iron fence

This is a little project I did awhile back. I wanted to be able to keep the dogs off the back porch and built this wrought iron fence. I did it all with stick, because I didn't have a mig welder at the time. Here is a picture of it. I've learned some things that I would do different next time. Let me know if any of you have any questions and I'll be glad to answer them. This is the first time I post something, hope it comes out alright.

Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good.What did you use for material?You mention doing things differant next time,can you explain what?

I bought the top rail and other pieces from a company that specializes in wrought iron material, the rest I bought local. It was mostly square tubing. Where i messed up and would do different is that I didn't make my weld on the bottom where the 1/2" is welded to the 1" tubing all around. I only welded it on two sides to save time. Now the problem is on the other two sides where I didn't weld, you can see small areas of rust coming out. So I may go back and weld the other two sides. I guess you live and learn. Overall I was pleased with the way it came out. It serves its purpose and looks nice. My wife really enjoys it a lot.

You might want to concider useing a sealer like Bondo or something simmular rather than rewelding. I'm not a fan of putting down more weld than what is structurealy needed. More weld is likely to cause the railing to warp and you will be in for a lot more work than just adding some weld.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Default tThe rust

I agree with Pete,use bondo,you do not want to put heat and warp it.
    I used to see this guys that worked on custom wrought iron doors and they used bondo on some of the crevices,and this were awsome doors.

Default Bondo?

BONDO?
    I think I would rather rig up a support brace under my railing rather than use bondo. YUCK!!

Any waterproof ,paintable calk would work well

weld it any good Iron work should not have bondo or caulk in it, if you keep the heat low it will not warp. bondo is good for sheet metal auto body but not an iron fence.

If you live in an area where temptures get down to freezing you will want to leave a small weep hole at the bottom to let any condensate get out.

Water will collect in the tube and freeze and turn your square tube some what round with a long split in it.

I built a railling for a customer, welded all rails on four sides top and botton. That winter some of the rails swelled and split.
    Don't ask me to do a dam thing, I'm retired
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Linclon Idealarc sp 200
    Thermodyne Econo-pak50
    Victor O/A tourch.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Welder View Post
    This is a little project I did awhile back. I wanted to be able to keep the dogs off the back porch and built this wrought iron fence. I did it all with stick, because I didn't have a mig welder at the time. Here is a picture of it. I've learned some things that I would do different next time. Let me know if any of you have any questions and I'll be glad to answer them. This is the first time I post something, hope it comes out alright.

Hey I think that's pretty cool
    nice job