Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default wrought iron fence

This is a little project I did awhile back. I wanted to be able to keep the dogs off the back porch and built this wrought iron fence. I did it all with stick, because I didn't have a mig welder at the time. Here is a picture of it. I've learned some things that I would do different next time. Let me know if any of you have any questions and I'll be glad to answer them. This is the first time I post something, hope it comes out alright.

Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good.What did you use for material?You mention doing things differant next time,can you explain what?

I bought the top rail and other pieces from a company that specializes in wrought iron material, the rest I bought local. It was mostly square tubing. Where i messed up and would do different is that I didn't make my weld on the bottom where the 1/2" is welded to the 1" tubing all around. I only welded it on two sides to save time. Now the problem is on the other two sides where I didn't weld, you can see small areas of rust coming out. So I may go back and weld the other two sides. I guess you live and learn. Overall I was pleased with the way it came out. It serves its purpose and looks nice. My wife really enjoys it a lot.

You might want to concider useing a sealer like Bondo or something simmular rather than rewelding. I'm not a fan of putting down more weld than what is structurealy needed. More weld is likely to cause the railing to warp and you will be in for a lot more work than just adding some weld.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Default tThe rust

I agree with Pete,use bondo,you do not want to put heat and warp it.
    I used to see this guys that worked on custom wrought iron doors and they used bondo on some of the crevices,and this were awsome doors.

Default Bondo?

BONDO?
    I think I would rather rig up a support brace under my railing rather than use bondo. YUCK!!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Welder View Post
    This is a little project I did awhile back. I wanted to be able to keep the dogs off the back porch and built this wrought iron fence. I did it all with stick, because I didn't have a mig welder at the time. Here is a picture of it. I've learned some things that I would do different next time. Let me know if any of you have any questions and I'll be glad to answer them. This is the first time I post something, hope it comes out alright.

Hey I think that's pretty cool
    nice job

Default wroght iron fence/ cajun welder

great looking fence
    did a fence a few yrs. ago around a pool for the same reasons/ for my best friends bark! bark!/
    built mine out of thin wall molly tubing ( long story but i just had it at a bargan)1 in. 035 wall and 5/8 025 wall round /the reason i am mailing is if you have never had the experince of closing a hollow tube the pressure will suprise you/i now drill a vent hole in all closed tubes pre weld then post heat and finally after some time to let the water vapor and whatever they coat the inside with evaporate then i close the vent/the fence is over 25 yrs. old and out side of external matinence it has not a drop of rust on the deck or water swelling in 12 degree weather/i was lucky for once 4130/ has enough chrome in it to help with rust/if there is no water inside the tube it will not burst/i know this fence is kind'a of over kill and i will catch a lot of flack from you guys but it works/ i am always willing to hear your views and i learn something every time i sign on/ so blow me away if i am wrong/i am not perfect just ask my wife !!! for bells and whisels on fencing try KING METALS .com/ xxx weld dudes pat from texas