Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Exhaust jig

Hybrid View

Default Exhaust jig

Does anyone have any ideas on how to build an exhaust jig for building racing exhaust?? Will go on mini sprints!!

Thanks,

Zeb

How many do you plan on building?

Makes a big difference on the design of the jig.

If just building 1-3 I would make a jig at all.

1/8 in. angle is a good choice. Make your first header on the car (or at least tack it). Then, use it to make the jig. Next, take a piece of angle and use it to bolt the flange to. Off of that make a frame that you can add more pieces of angle to in some of the long straight pieces of the primary tubing. It will look crazy without a header in the jig, but they work. The size angle depends on primary size. 2 in. is a good size for most. This is a very basic description I know, but it should help.

I guess I think a little different. I would fabricate the exhaust system on the engine/car, then start doing the power and tuning development on it. Lots of cutting up and changes until it works just right for the application. When everything it the way you like, then build a jig from the prototype. Just remember to let the fixture have a little "give" as to not stress the welds durring cooling. Have at it !
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Aero, I thought about all of that, but He only asked how to make a jig. He may have a proven header design, but just wants to make some extras.

Quote Originally Posted by wrenchnride247 View Post
    Aero, I thought about all of that, but He only asked how to make a jig. He may have a proven header design, but just wants to make some extras.
    I dunno a guy that has already designed and fabricated his exhaust system probably doesnt need to ask how to make a jig for it
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)