Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Trailer Question

I want to build a trailer for two quads. What I am wondering is which way should the deck stringers go? I am told that from the left side to the right side is the way to go (Pic1). I have been known to go overboard when building stuff, a common problem with steel burners I think, but to me running them length wise (Pic2) would give me a more rigid deck, keeping in mind the axle will be the fulcrum. The deck is going to be 10' by 5' with the axle 6" inches to the rear of center.

Any help would be great, thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not quite sure how running the structure lengthwise would give you a stiffer deck myself. I'll assume (you know what they say about that), that your axels will mount to the outer rails. That being the case those members will determine the lengthwise stiffness. If they are the same on both designs they should bow about the same "in theory", regardless if the load transfers from the sides as in pict one (assuming the trailer's evenly loaded) or from the ends in pict 2. Cross stiffness would come from depth of the members and how they join to the load bearing rails. In this case I would think that pict 1 with more cross rails would give you a stiffer floor in twist. Almost every trailer/ truck bed I can think of uses a design like pict 1.

Think about how you plan to deck a 5X10 trailer. If you use plywood you either need a 5'wide or 10' long sheet in pict 2. It's available but costly. Most landscape/equip. trailers I see use a design like pict 1. The cut down 4x8 sheets of ply or sheet steel, fall on a crossrail or the 2x's run length ways front to back and sit on all the cross rails.

Good luck.

What size are the quads no.one? Do you want to haul them side by side or one behind the other? How heavy gvwr are you looking for?

The crossmembers must be placed from side to side to give the trailer any strength and rigidity. Running the crossmembers lengthwise will result in a very weak and unsafe trailer.
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

I agree the best way is to have the cross members running side to side, but i have a 7 ton trailer with three longitudinal frame members and no cross members.

Default You need both

You need both, also your deck needs to be securely attached for additional stiffness.

Default Thanks guys

Thanks for the information.
    Looks like from side to side is the winner. I didn't put them in the pics but I am going to weld in stiffeners between the stringers.

Thanks again, when it's done I'll post pics.

Listen to dabar39 when building trailers. He's built one or two.
    Jim

Here's a link to my trailer project I did a couple years ago.
    Thought it might help you along with your project.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...railer+project

Good luck.
    Andy

Good to here from you Andy. How goes the schedule for race season for you.Bet that foreman you had on trailer project has grew a bit since then.
    252 Miller Mig
    180 Synchrowave
    R - 45 Milling Machine
    Kingston 1100 Lathe
    Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter