Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Vehicle Anti Theft

Am looking for ideas, plans, suggestions of a device I can fab up to discourage some thief from stealing my vehicle.

Thie device will be in addition to other commercial devices I already have. The idea is to build something the thief hasn't seen before and is not prepared to defeat.

I've considered building my own wheel lock/boot but am open to other ideas. With the knowledge and experience on this forum, I'm betting there are some good ones.

Thanks
    First MIG: Miller 172
    Second MIG: Lincoln Idealarc SP-200
    Current MIG: Powcon 400SM & PD 22 feeder
    Jet horiz/vert bandsaw
    Victor O/A torch and regulators
    Jackson NexGen EQC helmet
    Two beagles

Cut one wire leading to the ignition switch and put a hidden toggle switch in the gap. Pull out the sparkplugs. Disconect the coil wire put it in a locked box. Jack up all four corners put it on stands then hide the jack. Keep a 12ga handy. Install an alarm system on the the storage building. Take off the steering wheel. Cut off the acelerator pedal and drill a hole though both halves and bolt it together when you need it. Lock the parking brake engaged. Disconect the driveshaft. Wrap a chain though the holes inthe rim and around the axel put combination locks on it.
    Where ever you use lock make sure the are combination locks that do not acept keys althogh stll easil defeated it is a little harder.

Use a semi trailer air brake on your drive shaft.

No thief will know they need to turn on the compressor (hidden switch) to release it.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Put a Yugo car cover on it
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

You guy missed the obvious expanded metal on the windows and weld the doors shut lol.

How about making something that locks the clutch and brake together and that stops them from being pushed in, or something that goes over the hand brake and then to the gear stick to stop that from being moved

find the wire for your fuel pump, cut it and put a toggle switch between them, i have my switch under the passenger seat. just make sure (if you have a back seat) that the people riding in the back can accidentally kick it, or you will find your self sitting in the middle of the road with you hood up not even thinking about your anti-theft system....

Appreciate the input. I guess until we start hanging car thieves, like we used to hang horse thieves.......

If I come up with something interesting I'll post it.
    First MIG: Miller 172
    Second MIG: Lincoln Idealarc SP-200
    Current MIG: Powcon 400SM & PD 22 feeder
    Jet horiz/vert bandsaw
    Victor O/A torch and regulators
    Jackson NexGen EQC helmet
    Two beagles

I have a friend who used a clever variation on the fuel pump switch method stated above when he lived in Boston (car theft capital of the US). He used an unneeded switch in the dash (I think it was a HI/LO dash dimmer switch) and wired it ACROSS the fuel pump. If someone tried to start the car with the switch ON, the pump fuse would blow because the switch shorted across it. The car would run for a few 100 feet on the gas that's in the fuel line, and then "run out of gas". He found his car a few hundred feet away from where he parked it about 4 or 5 times in 10 years. This extra deception was needed because the smarter thieves would look for the hack if a car didn't start at all, and possibly damage the car in the process. This way they really thought they just had bad luck. Since the car in question was Italian, this was believable. it might not be as convincing with a Toyota. Also be sure to carry an extra supply of fuses.

Quote Originally Posted by lens42 View Post
    This extra deception was needed because the smarter thieves would look for the hack if a car didn't start at all, and possibly damage the car in the process. This way they really thought they just had bad luck. Since the car in question was Italian, this was believable. it might not be as convincing with a Toyota. Also be sure to carry an extra supply of fuses.
    And I thought Lucas was the Prince of Darkness. I just want you to know how deeply you've hurt my feelings with your disparaging remarks about Italian cars. BTW, what was the marque?

Jim