Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

We have power back today, I will post more pictures tonight.

More Pics Of build
    Attached Images Attached Images

And more build pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work. Looks like you are putting a lot of attention into the details.

I wish I had a nice shop like that to work in.

hi finney. i've been trying to deside on what i sould do for a bed on my truck so i can't wait to see the finished truck. are you using any prints as a starting point or just making it as you go?

vin-man welding,
    I usually draw up the bed on cad and then start. You cannot mass produce these type beds as you can the typical ag style flat bed due to the fact you have to fit everything so tight to the truck to get the maximum storage possible in the under bed boxes. Also the stuff on the top of the bed will be very tight, welder, bottle racks, tool boxes, hitch, remote reels, act/oxy reels, spare tire rack, water cooler rack and fuel filler.
    You also have to remember these trucks are not square, this one is out 3/4" which is about normal.
    I will have the bed on and off the truck about 4 times during a build.(I only tack it together while it is on the truck) This one has a 50gal. fuel tank between the frame rails at the back. The fuel filler is going to be a pain, but if it was easy girl scouts would be doing it.
    The biggest problem I have had on this one is the welder I am using. I bought a Power Mig 350 at a auction. We DO NOT get along.

Default looks good

what do you have planed to hold your cables or to store them.

Quote Originally Posted by Finney View Post
    vin-man welding,
    I usually draw up the bed on cad and then start. You cannot mass produce these type beds as you can the typical ag style flat bed due to the fact you have to fit everything so tight to the truck to get the maximum storage possible in the under bed boxes. Also the stuff on the top of the bed will be very tight, welder, bottle racks, tool boxes, hitch, remote reels, act/oxy reels, spare tire rack, water cooler rack and fuel filler.
    You also have to remember these trucks are not square, this one is out 3/4" which is about normal.
    I will have the bed on and off the truck about 4 times during a build.(I only tack it together while it is on the truck) This one has a 50gal. fuel tank between the frame rails at the back. The fuel filler is going to be a pain, but if it was easy girl scouts would be doing it.
    The biggest problem I have had on this one is the welder I am using. I bought a Power Mig 350 at a auction. We DO NOT get along.

say you and that power mig still haven't learned to get ALONG ? great looking bed.

Default Welding Truck Bed

Finney: Fantastic job!

2 Questions: 1.) What do you think the net weight of the finished bed will be?

2.) The recessed elongated oval on the rear of the bed, is it cosmetic, or added for strength like they do on the back of the cabs?

Fully loaded, fuel, etc, gross weight?

(I guess that was 3 questions)

Nice work, Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Iron Head,
    I will take the filler hose out the back. The spare as of now will be upright behind the welder.

davedarragh,
    The oval is inset to protect the lights and add strength. Bed weight will be around 1,800 fully equiped it should be around 12,500 to 13,000

stick man,
    No will still do not get along. Its better but we are not friends yet. Acouple of weeks a go a friend needed help building some fertilizer binns. I took the power mig and one of the trailblaser,s with a S32 VS feeder. Everone tried it and nobody liked it. He had a couple of 252's there. we were running 045 at about 24 volts with C02. When we were done the trailblaser welded more footage of welds than any of the other machines. One of the reasons was it was easier to move around. I think I went through two 44lb spools.