Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Mig wire for hard facing

I was asked to hardface the side of some buckets on a front loader. I can do the job indoors and would like to use a mig to save some time. my machine will only hold 11# spools or smaller what wire would you recommend?
    Dan
    Lincoln SP170T
    ESAB 875 Plasma
    Smith oxy set
    Dynasty 200DX
    pulsed mig is next...

Long Island Cummins Ram Owners Club

Default Hard Facing Flux Core

Dan: You may be out of luck. I'm looking in Lincoln's book, and 25# spool looks like as small as they go. Keep in mind, most of these wires are 5/64" and larger, so you need a big gun. There are some in .045, but again, 25# spool. Some of these are gas-shielded wires. You can visit Lincoln's website, look under consumables/hardfacing and check them all out.

Hope this helps

Dave

There is one, Lincore 60-G "Severe Abrasion" that comes in .045, in 10# spools, and is gas shielded. May be your best bet.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Talking Hardfacing Wire; Part II

Spcl: Forgot about other brands! I just looked in my RAM Catalogue, and they have .035, .045 sizes in 10#/8" spools with 2" hub. 3 different flavors, 3 different prices. visit www.RamWeldingSupply.com

Thanky for the info

Dave

Hardfacing electrode is high in Manganese. Don't let the lack of smoke trick you into filling your workspace with Manganese fumes.
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Dan,

I'd have to ask the question about whether we're talking about a "front loader" or the front loader bucket on a conventional tractor.

If you're talking about a "front loader" as in heavy construction equipment, I'd have to question whether you've got enough machine (170 Mig) to do the job correctly. When I think of hardfacing heavy construction equipment, the first thing that comes to my mind is spray transfer. Hardfacing, if not burned in, will not hold up.

Just my .02.

A couple of other things to not when hardfacing with wire feed, some of them contain chromium -very carcinogenic- make sure you have excellent ventilation. Also the wire is generally quite soft (at least the stuff I used was), and nested quite easily in our Miller 350. Look into a 10' whip with a teflon liner, or a push pull gun.

Default "Good Eye, Sundown"

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    Dan,

I'd have to ask the question about whether we're talking about a "front loader" or the front loader bucket on a conventional tractor.

If you're talking about a "front loader" as in heavy construction equipment, I'd have to question whether you've got enough machine (170 Mig) to do the job correctly. When I think of hardfacing heavy construction equipment, the first thing that comes to my mind is spray transfer. Hardfacing, if not burned in, will not hold up.

Just my .02.
    I read right over that one (long night), I just checked my hardface electrode catalogue, and his Dynasty can handle most of the rods (MM, ME, MI, BU).

Dave