Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tig hook up?

Default Tig hook up?

Could someone please explain how to hook all this up for tig?.....yes, I have searched here & everywhere else for 3 days!

-maxstar 200 STR
    -50mm dinse adapter
    -WP17 tig torch

...The adapter is a tweco style that plugs into the maxstar with a gas hose T off it for the argon.

Do I need one of these too?:

http://store.cyberweld.com/tigtopoad10.html

I am really confused? The owner manual for the maxstar even confused me more! It shows the tig torch plugging right into the machine also, someone told me this is a DC only machine, Where I'm really confused is how to hook the electrode to the torch, I once used the style above adapter & just clamped the stinger to it, but never used the dinse adapter. The manual states it is AC or DC & to run straight polarity for steel and AC for alum.? I only want to weld mild steel for now.

Help please!

Quote Originally Posted by bamacpl View Post
    Could someone please explain how to hook all this up for tig?.....yes, I have searched here & everywhere else for 3 days!

-maxstar 200 STR
    -50mm dinse adapter
    -WP17 tig torch

...The adapter is a tweco style that plugs into the maxstar with a gas hose T off it for the argon.

http://store.cyberweld.com/tigtopoad10.html

I am really confused? The owner manual for the maxstar even confused me more! It shows the tig torch plugging right into the machine also, someone told me this is a DC only machine, Where I'm really confused is how to hook the electrode to the torch, I once used the style above adapter & just clamped the stinger to it, but never used the dinse adapter. The manual states it is AC or DC & to run straight polarity for steel and AC for alum.? I only want to weld mild steel for now.

Help please!

If you want AC/DC then don't buy that machine!!!
    The torch hose screws into the adapter that comes with the machine.
    You also need a ground cable and clamp.
    Now please don't take this wrong but if you search three days you missed a lot!! Go to the top of this page and click on "products" and then find the machine you are interested in and then download the "english" pdf on whatever machine you want to check out.
    BTW the little hose on the adapter screws into the front of the machine...it lets the gas flow into the torch hose that way.
    You also need some kind of controller like foot pedal or fingertip. HTH

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    BTW the little hose on the adapter screws into the front of the machine...it lets the gas flow into the torch hose that way.
    NO!!!!!! Dood has, or is looking to buy an STR, no solenoid on STR's, so he needs a valved torch, preferably a twin hoser.

You beat me to it punpkinhead

fusionking.....trust me, i did all that!

this is what is confusing me.....everyone tells me something different both right and wrong & some of each. Even the miller dealer don't know! I don't believe I need a controller due to the machines lift arc capability.

Quote Originally Posted by PUMPKINHEAD View Post
    NO!!!!!! Dood has, or is looking to buy an STR, no solenoid on STR's, so he needs a valved torch, preferably a twin hoser.

I got the valved torch & the STR already......just wanna tig with it & not sure if I have everything i need?

I got the valved torch & the STR already......just wanna tig with it & not sure if I have everything i need?
    Do you have a single hose or twin hose valved torch? If it's a single and you have the machine plug with side hose, you'll need an inert gas hose female/female connector.
    Work clamp, cable and Dinse connector?
    Argon? tungstens? gas hose? (needed if you have a single hose torch)

Could someone please explain how to hook all this up for tig...The adapter is a tweco style that plugs into the maxstar with a gas hose T off it for the argon.
    The machine is not Tweco, but Dinse (international) style.
    Nope.

someone told me this is a DC only machine,
    Yep.

Where I'm really confused is how to hook the electrode to the torch, I once used the style above adapter & just clamped the stinger to it, but never used the dinse adapter.
    I hope you mean hook the torch to the machine, 'cause the electrode (tungsten) goes in the torch and, no offense, if that's givin' you trouble TIGing is not gonna come easy for you. But, depending on if you have a twin or single line torch we'll get you connected.

The manual states it is AC or DC & to run straight polarity for steel and AC for alum.?
    Not the Maxstar 200STR manual. That is a DC only machine, designed for stick to be honest.
    I only want to weld mild steel for now.
    Not a problem, Al can be done (fairly thick anyway, but that's for another day)
    Last edited by PUMPKINHEAD; 01-22-2009 at 09:32 AM.

that sounds right....i think

I am fairly experinced with tig.....just having trouble getting the right parts

-just found out!

I am missing the:
    000 950 coupler

Thanks miller tech support!!!!!!!!

Default Str tig

bamacpl: I sent you a private e-mail reply.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

You beat me to it punpkinhead

fusionking.....trust me, i did all that!

this is what is confusing me.....everyone tells me something different both right and wrong & some of each. Even the miller dealer don't know! I don't believe I need a controller due to the machines lift arc capability.

I'm sorry man!! Sure didn't mean to add to the BS pile
    I will say one more thing tho...if you can use that block I would. The twin hose is easy to overheat esp with a #17.
    I much prefer the single hose #26 flex head or in your case a FV-26.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX