Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default another welding table

Hey Guys,
    Im new here. I thought I would post up a welding table that I drew up at work today. Dimensions are about 36"Wx30"Hx34"D. Eventually i'll get a chance to build it. What'd ya think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks just like mine, only with a different frame.

I wouldn't give mine up for anything after using it for the past year.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

I like that design. Good ability for clamping parts for welding.

Fishy Jim, any trouble getting and keeping the top flat and even?

GS

Channel is inherently not flat across the web, so you're stuck either dealing with the wave, or you need to machine it off (for a small table, that's actually not all that difficult). I chose to deal with it.

Getting the top flat is the job of your frame. Keeping it even is the job of how you connect the channel to the frame. The legs on the channel aren't typically all that even, so you need something to bring them off the frame.

I chose to use little risers that have nuts welded into them. All the slats are removable and thus replaceable. Removable for odd shape work, replaceable for damage and wear. I kept the jig I used to make them so I can have a new slat done in about 15 minutes should I goof and cut through one or drill, or grind or whatever.

My table is flat to within 1/8" across the entire 8' length. Most slats are within 1/16" from one another. Since that's the same tolerance of thick sheet, I'm no worse off than someone who doesn't have their table blanchard ground - but this is a welding table, not a surface plate.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Smith O/A rig

I finished this in less than a day. Once you get the jig made it's pretty fast work.

Here's what the rail jig looked like before I added the automatic spacing arm (just a piece of bar stock with a hole that you put a pin in to maintain exact distance from one group to the next).

This is an attempt to show you that the "legs" of the channel droop across the web at the edges.

And here's the two rails full of spacers ready for the nuts to be welded.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Smith O/A rig

Fishy,
    Your table was my inspiration. I thought it was so cool yet very functional when I saw it so I had to try to design my own.

Have at it.

Just remember the legs are typically asymmetrical, so without a spacer you'll have a washboard surface rather than a slight ripple.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Smith O/A rig

I made a similar, light-duty version -- used 1" sq tube
    for everything. I spaced them 5 or 6" apart on the top.
    It works very well for clamping things to. For smaller
    stuff, I either lay or clamp a small piece of sheet
    or plate to it -- as needed. One of these days I'll
    probably make a removable plate to mount a vise on.

I made the top flattish by laying out the tubes on a big
    flat cast iron welding table and tacking everything.
    I thought I was being real clever.... Then I did the
    final welds... And it warped and twisted...
    Still, it's flat enough for what I need.

Good luck with it

Frank

Thumbs up

Nice drawing I wish I could learn how to use the Auto-Cad program. How thick is the metal going to be? Are you going to use wire feed or arc? Looking forward to the finished table. Can you post pictures as you progress. Thanks Mililani Stick Man.