Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    you guys are cracking me up I DID the bubble gum wrapper thing with 316 ss filler rod , and it worked just fine, ...I'll post pics later.
    MUCH later...
    what size was that filler? Did ya use straight argon or throw in some CO2 for a little more heat looking foward to the pics.
    Dewayne Sullivan
    Dixieland Welding
    Lewisburg, TN

hope you know I was joking!!! Don't need to waste time right now trying that out Just got word that they want me to take a mig test (x-ray) using .045 inconel wire to do the long job we got coming up. Machine is a LN-25 (I think, I might be wrong), so I gotta practice my mig this weekend. the machine is about to give up the ghost, so wish me luck!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

hope you know I was joking!!! Don't need to waste time right now trying that out Just got word that they want me to take a mig test (x-ray) using .045 inconel wire to do the long job we got coming up. Machine is a LN-25 (I think, I might be wrong), so I gotta practice my mig this weekend. the machine is about to give up the ghost, so wish me luck!
    Yeah I knew you were joking Good luck on your test!
    Dewayne Sullivan
    Dixieland Welding
    Lewisburg, TN

whew!!! thanks a lot
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Yep, and I used to split 3/32 5P rods down the middle with 00 cutting tip. But I quit. Couldn't figure out what to use the splits for, LMAO.

I heard that from an old welder when I was just a kid, didn't fall for it though. We did get a truly good laugh watching all the helpers trying to do it after I told them I used to do it a few years back though.

I used to set the stick machines to AC, or reverse the polarity when I knew they would be coming in to practice just to watch them trying to figure out what was wrong. Sorry can't resist messing with the helpers, especially drunk helpers.

Hey, it's all part of paying your dues, LOL.

I may just have to try the razor blades with the torch trick just for grins. See if I can still weld with one, lol.

I've swapped the polarity on the welder for the new guys and told them it was set up for a left handed weldor
    Dewayne Sullivan
    Dixieland Welding
    Lewisburg, TN

Default Look OUt. New guy with Razor Blades

Hello, First time poster here. I was curious about this here razor blade welding thing and decided to give it a try. Not nearly as good as some I have seen. Basically quickly ran my torch across the top of the blades and hoped for the best. If I slowed down at all it burned through. Any suggestions to improve?

Thanks!

Miller 340ABSP (Old school machine)
    1/16 tungsten sticking out about 3/8"
    half inch cup
    Amps: as low as I could go. around 10 amps

I use low heat (about 10-15 amps) and a .040 tungsten with 1/16th rod. I've done them with SS and 70s-2, but silicone bronze rod is better for a strong weld on th blades (i took this practice too seriously) I think i have a picture on here some where from when i was giving it my best and had liek 10-15 sets of them..lemme see if i can find it.

The real trick i found to make it easy is to secure the blades where they wont' move and are edge to edge.. Then lay the filler rod on the joint and weld it with the rod as the heat sink, this allows you to slow down and not burn them up.

Another way to cheat (sort of) is to use DC reverse polarity (electrode positive) this will keep more heat out of the blades and allow you to work even a tad slower, you wuld use 1/16th or 3/32 tungsten to do it on reverse DCEP to keep from burning it up (the tungsten that is)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by turboglenn; 12-11-2008 at 04:52 PM.
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

hope you know I was joking!!! Don't need to waste time right now trying that out so wish me luck!
    We knew you were joking but we still want to see it

Also, good luck on the mig, I know you can do it.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Quote Originally Posted by littlefuzz View Post
    They're just fused togather. I just posted this thread hoping some more people would try and post pics too So.....
    Ok, will do, here is mine, used the thin razors, and welded on edge. Used my Dynasty 300DX and 1/16 ceriated tungsten. Full pen hahaha
    Attached Images Attached Images