Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Resurrecting this old thread for a little update. A few months ago I sold the 200DX I reviewed above as I was not using it and it had been sitting idle for almost 8 months. Last week had to order a new 200DX and I ended up getting the Tigrunner which I set up on Friday. I had enough time to get it all in order and run a few test beads but I wanted to pass along something that Miller has finally done that is really the icing on the cake for this unit.

On all previous versions of the 200's, changing the tig start parameters used to be a real PIA. First the machine had to be off so if you were welding and wanted/needed to change settings, you had to turn it off. Then, you had to turn it on while depressing a couple of the buttons on front of the unit and then the software would drop you into the hidden menus. Then, you make whatever changes you needed and once again, turn the unit off in order to save the settings. Now, turn the machine back on and you're good to go.

I talked with Miller engineers on several occasions about this and always got the same old line of "the software isn't capable of that". Funny how you don't have to go through all that crap on my 350. Although, IIRC, I used to have to do it on my 300. At any rate, it was a real pain and completely unnecessary IMHO.

So, when I went to check the defaults for the new 200, I read in the manual where you are now able to access the hidden parameter menus WITHOUT going through all those gymnastics. It didn't really offer the info up per-say, rather it just instructs you on how to do the procedure. Suffice to say that it is now MUCH easier to change settings on the new 200's. There will be more to follow in a review I do on the TigRunner package next week.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Well that is refreshing....how about switching modes like from advanced to soft square?
    I feel the on-off routine is a bit annoying myself. It wouldn't be quite so bad if the switch wasn't in back.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    Well that is refreshing....how about switching modes like from advanced to soft square?
    I feel the on-off routine is a bit annoying myself. It wouldn't be quite so bad if the switch wasn't in back.
    So far as I could tell, you can change ALL of the start parameters now just by pushing the Amp/Adjust buttons WHILE the machine is ON. I scrolled through everything and the waveforms were right there for the changing. Just reverse the button procedure (hold Amp down first then push Adjust) to go back to welding. Annoying is an understatement, they shoulda done this long ago.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Man, that is a nice update! I have a little note on my cart to help me remember what to hold down to access the hidden menu's if I don't use the machine for more than a week.
    Dynasty 200 DX runner
    Sync 350 LX
    XMT 300 w/D74 and roughnecks
    Hobart 135
    ESAB PowerCut 875 plasma

Wonder if there is anyway to get a software update on an older 200DX so you can change these perameters without having to shut the unit off.
    DCRC
    Miller Dynasty 200DX 4/04
    Miller Big Window Elite helmet-much better than my old Speedglass 9000X
    Miller Millermatic 135 06/02
    Miller Spectrum 375 cutmate 04/03

Quote Originally Posted by 1320Fabrication View Post
    Wonder if there is anyway to get a software update on an older 200DX so you can change these perameters without having to shut the unit off.
    With Miller??? Not even a remote chance of that happening. EVER!!

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

It's been a few days since this thread was active and since then I have purchased a newer 200 DX as well.
    The plan is to use both for a while when I am very busy and then when it slows down, sell the older, but still Blue Lightning version and keep the newest version.
    In addition to what KB has already so well informed us with I really don't have much to add here.
    Other than I purchased mine at my LWS for a bit under $2900. It came by UPS to the store....I cannot believe Miller still uses those cavemen. The box was a bit bent up but the machine was mint.
    About the only thing I see different besides access to all functions without turning the machine on and off is, the encoder knob now has a "notchy" feel to it as opposed to the "no friction" feel of the previos models.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Default 200dx

I hate when things like this happen.. I waited to buy this machine while the bugs were worked out of it and then this.. I'm just that **** type of person and things like this bother me. I understand things change and technology progresses but thats when new machines are made...
    Dynasty 200DX

Default Join the club

Just use it for a year and then sell it. Then get one with 3 more years of warranty and you are up to date.
    Seriously, would you want a Dynasty with less than you have now? This machine has progressed a bunch and will hopefully continue.
    I am expecting, now that I have bought my third, Miller to introduce a 250 amp machine on this platform someday....and when they do I will probably be working a way to get one ASAP
    Seriously tho, I don't think this hidden menu access is worth upgrading over. It is simply a nice thing that they figured how to do. It doesn't change the machine's capability one bit.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX