Towards the end of last year, I purchased a new Dynasty 200 DX that included the new arc start board and the 4 AC waveforms (like the 350 DX has). This was my second 200 as I had one a few years back when I was doing a good bit of mobile work. That unit was great and the only problems I had with it were getting the tig start parameters figured out so I could get good consistent arc starts. As most of you know, there have been a few threads on this subject and at one point there seemed to be a batch of arc start/HF boards that had gone bad. I don't think it was a huge problem but it was there nonetheless. Anywho, my first unit was fine and after getting a handle on how to set the tig parameters, I had no issues. I ended up selling that one after the mobile stuff I was doing dried up.
Fast forward to late September 08' and I was in the market for another 200. I even waited a bit to make sure I was getting the new and updated version. I have had it for about 3 months now so I thought I would give my initial impressions regarding the new features.
First, the AC waveforms are a nice addtion to the machine. The older units had the "advanced" squarewave (ASW) only. In addition to the ASW setting,the one I have really started liking is the "soft" squarewave (SSW) for most of the stuff I do. The arc is noticeably softer and it creates a nice fluid puddle. The ASW always worked fine but I really notice a difference in how the filler seems wets into the base better when I have it on SSW. I especially notice this when using 5356 filler. The other thing I have noticed about welding in the SSW mode is that no matter what, the beads usually don't have the "graininess" to them that so many people have complained about. In fact, the only time I ever see it is when I have to stop and restart. It really wasn't a huge issue for me on my old unit but I thought it was worth mentioning since it seemed to be a factor for a lot of guys.
The other two waveforms, sinewave and triangular, are not really something I use at all. I have done lots of experimenting with them on my 350DX but I don't really like either one and honestly, have not found a use or a need for them. YMMV.
Now for the REALLY big deal. The new arc start board (Blue Lightning) is a HUGE improvement over what was in the old unit. IIRC, on the old 200's the factory default for tig start parameters were set for a 3/32" ceriated tungsten. It seems like this created a lot of start issues because people were using all different kinds of tungsten and not properly setting the tig start parameters which have to be accessed via a hidden menu. Well, now there are preset start parameters for all tunsten sizes from .040" to 1/8". You still have to access them via a hidden menu but now you just switch to the specific tungsten size and all values are optimized for that particular size. You can also switch to a "general " mode where you can have access to all 5 of the start parameters and set them to whatever you want. I would actually recommend that anyone thinking about buying a new 200DX download and read the manual where it talks about the advanced funtions. The whole section on tig start parameters is explained pretty well and there are graphs showing you what each parameter affects.
In speaking with one of the techs in tig applications, they have discovered that using a higher start amperage coupled with a lower start time and start slope times, you get much better and much more consistent arc starts (keep in mind that all these settings are in milliseconds). On the older units, you didn't have the ability to change the start slope values as they were fixed. Now, as I said before, you can basically set those values to anything you want. However, I have run tests on all the tungsten sizes with their preset values and can tell you that they all work very, very well. Hopefully this is of some help and interest. If you have any questions on anything else, feel free to ask.
Oh and btw, here is a job I just finished for one of my clients. Some of you old timers have seen these before but they are some aluminum handtrucks that I modify and they ultimately become compressor wash systems for helo engines. In the first pic you can see the two side by side. I have to cut out the two stock straps and weld in some formed ones to hold the tanks. The other stuff I just have to sand down the paint in the area and weld the parts on. I used the new 200 on this job and can tell you I really put it to the test. There are thicknesses from 1/8" to 1/4" on these things and there is 30 minutes of arc time into each one. Three hours total work into each one and there were 15 this time. Oh, all with an air-cooled torch.
Results 1 to 10 of 19
01-17-2009, 06:16 PM #1
Dynasty 200 DX: The New Features (Long)
Last edited by KB Fabrications; 01-18-2009 at 12:26 AM.Dynasty 350DX
Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
MM Passport Plus
Spectrum 375 Extreme
08' Trailblazer 302