Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Anyone use the flame resistant Twill shirt from Miller?

Right now I am using one of the button up Wrangler shirt you can get from TSC, but spatter seems to burn its way through the shirt and leave little burns on my arm. I've heard of shirts that are made from mountain cloth that are made for welding and I was wondering if this shirt was something like that.
    Millermatic 250
    Syncrowave 250
    Miller bobcat 225g plus

have that twill shirt starched at the cleaners and you wont get burned anymore... about once per week, have them heavy starch..... i just use a t-shirt and tillman sleeves... my shirts get real religious (holy) and my wife will throw them out...lol
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

hmm... I have never heard of doing that before. This is my third shirt like this, I always keep them around due to the fact thats so hard to tear my self away from a "good" welding shirt. The 'ol lady just doesn't seem to understand it though
    Millermatic 250
    Syncrowave 250
    Miller bobcat 225g plus

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    have that twill shirt starched at the cleaners and you wont get burned anymore... about once per week, have them heavy starch..... i just use a t-shirt and tillman sleeves... my shirts get real religious (holy) and my wife will throw them out...lol
    Your wife didn't throw them away. She packed them up and sent them to me! I have the red belly to prove it!

Now that's what we need burn proof t-shirts. I think mine get more burn holes from grinding than welding though. I have a friend whose son works for the power company and they have to have all flame proof clothing. The stuff is a little pricey but I figure when the temps cool down I'll try one of the shirts.

As far as starching the shirts all you need to do is get a can of spray starch and when they're dry hang them on a hanger and spray the snot out of the sleeves with the spray starch, the whole shirt for that matter.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

I think I'll give that a try, Would be way cheaper to do it that way than to send it to the cleaners to starch it, plus I actually can have it back quicker
    Millermatic 250
    Syncrowave 250
    Miller bobcat 225g plus

You'll also find the dirt doesn't set and stain as badly when it's starched. Easier to get clean. Downside is once you wash it you have to re-treat it though.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

i like blondies idea pretty good.... after spending 6 years active army, i just send every thing off to the cleaners for press and starch.... old habits die hard
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com