Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Way Off Thread...help!!!!!

Found this little guy under a small tree today which has nothing in it. I have no clue what kind of bird other than very small and young. Any help in identifying and how to help it get back to mom will be appreciated.

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Vulture?

My guess is it belongs somewhere in the vulture family, looking at the shape of its beak and the size of its claws. Can you take it to an animal shelter or is there a raptor center in your area? Vultures are considered to be a raptor. (I'd previously thought of only eagles, hawks and falcons as raptors) I found some info on this site... http://www.globalraptors.org/grin/indexAlt.asp

Default buzzard?????

maybe it`s a buzzard , ain`t sure

Inferno Forge

Chris

Default Predator

I'm not a bird expert, but I have been told that the mother bird will not accept the baby back if it smells like a human. Handling the chick will transfer your scent, and the mother will think it is a potential predator and be afraid to put it with the other chicks.

Admin's suggestion of finding a shelter is the best option, or joining Fear Factor and chewing-up worms for food for the next month...

Default cute little bugger

I have heard the same info about the mother bird will not accept it and would probably let it die now that it has a scent other than its own now. I would think a local vet would be able to tell you where you can take him. There has to be a wildlife refuge or bird sanctuary somewhere relatively close to you. Or you could do as Samurai Dave suggested and chew up some worms for little guy to eat till he's big enough to fly the coop. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

i have used yogurt to feed baby birds be for with good results. returning it to mom is not likely to work. in the past i have tried that with the mom deserting all the Babbie's out after i returned the one that fell.my sent ended up all over the nest and other birds i suspect so she just left. the baby birds were larger than that at the time i fed them yogurt, not shore if its a good idea, just some thing that worked for me. chewing up worms might work better, less tasty though. well less tasty for you any way.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Well, we did manage to get it back in the nest so nature will have to do the rest I guess. It was identified as a mourning dove. It is strange how some people thought it was ugly and other thought it was cute. I suppose it is all in how you see things; kinda like a glass being half empty or half full. I love animals, be it ugly or cute and I couldn't stand by and do nothing.

I looked on websites about birds; written by experts and they said the thing about the Mother rejecting the bird because a human touched it are not true so I feel better about that.

Nick
    Last edited by Admin; 08-09-2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: left something out

Glad you found its nest and hopefully it will all work out for that little guy. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Well hope it works out for ya. Does this mean I have to go to time out?

we have an overhang on our living room window that has a growing population of barn swallow's. when we moved in we had one nest now we are up to 6 i think. every summer we get a bunch of babbies and it seems like atleast 1 stays around or rather comes back to make a nest next year.
    we also have a large bat population but no idea how to make a nest for them or i would make one for shore. they are realy cool to watch swooping around our overhead light at night. too bad i cant make a bat house so we could increase the population to help keep the bug's down.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES