Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thaw frozen pipes with arc welder?

Hello, no issues here (that i know of) but i was wondering how to thaw frozen pipes (copper)with a arc welder? I have heard of it but thats about it, thanks!

Kinda depends on the welder enjoying a dead short.

Cool

My dad did his barn and i used to watch. AC, ground at one end and rod holder at the other....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

There are some issues especially with situations like city water and multiple electrical services grouped. Is this on a well or city water? I do them on occasion but am always concerned about making an alternate current pathway on the electric system. Not so concerned with the welder, turn it low enough it doesn't overheat. What model machine? Usually copper isn't much of an issue, not as bad as steel that may have corroded high resistance joints.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the info guys, i personaly have well water, i have never had a issue here and im sure things will be ok now that its +5 degrees but last night it was about -29 and it got me thinking about this, like i say i have heard of it but thats about it, i have a TB302 and a Dynasty 200dx,

Quote Originally Posted by walleye1 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, i personaly have well water, i have never had a issue here and im sure things will be ok now that its +5 degrees but last night it was about -29 and it got me thinking about this, like i say i have heard of it but thats about it, i have a TB302 and a Dynasty 200dx,
    Well I certainly would NOT use either of those two machines to do it!!
    Go find some old Lincoln tombstone at a second hand store...they have a spot at the 75 amp setting that I was always told was indicating where you set it to thaw pipes...not sure how true that is tho.

I have a little pipe thawing story tho....I had a guy talk me into doing that years ago with my Bobcat against my better judgement. I agreed to do it because he had it all figured out where to hook the leads. Well after several minutes we realized the house was burning!!!!
    The place had undergone a remodel years before and the pipes had been cut and they was arcing into the duct-work
    By the time the fire dept. got there we had it put out with lake water in buckets.
    I then figured out the correct place to hook the leads and thawed his pipes, got paid and never done that again
    For what it costs for shortening the life of a good welding machine it may even be cheaper to re-install the water lines correctly in some cases.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

I have thawed piping with several machines. I usually set up on AC and use a meter to make sure things are going ok. The situation you describe is the main problem, with a well I might be tempted to disconnect the electric ground wire to keep current off this wire. Like the man said, this is a dead short, main thing is to keep currents in the ranges it doesn't over heat the machine. With a 302 I would keep things under 200A, Lincoln makes a DC amp meter for putting in line with DC machines just for thaws. The setting on the tombstone at 70A is for 100A duty cycle, slow but it works, gas engine drives with more power are substantially faster.

I used to do it with my miller big 40 that I bought back in 1989, I did a city line on a about a 2" pipe.

I also did a few houses that year.

After doing so I notice that when welding with my 7018 rod I had to turn it up higher than what I used to to burn the same rod.

My machine also developed a miss shortly there after.

The only way I would thaw pipes again would be with an old machine.

On the houses I always thawed from the key outside to the base of the meter in the house, never past that point due to hearing of the fires.

Never run your machine past the duty cycle and warm up the engine before hooking up to the pipes, shut the machine down, hook it up and then restart.

If you can run the machine on AC it will warm the pipe faster.

I watched a guy thaw pipes in a trailer house back in the early '80s.
    Ran his machine for three hours and nothing..... There was a section of PVC in between where he was connected
    Jeff

Thats pretty funny J Hall

You think he should have noticed that it diddnt lug the machine nor that it wouldnt have idled up.