Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    There is no comparison on a Lincoln 300D to a Miller trailbazer 302.
    That's no lie

Lincoln has put out a video on the effects of magnetic inductance and what your arc looks like using steel wraps , reels and coiled arc cable. I saw it on the last Linc course.

I would like to see that. Interesting, I'm sure.
    Jeff

Default Induction from coiled up leads???

I was wondering if anyone has heard about creating an inductance coil for a Mig using a steel pipe with welding ground wrapped around it?? Silly question maybe but a question nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Precision View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has heard about creating an inductance coil for a Mig using a steel pipe with welding ground wrapped around it?? Silly question maybe but a question nonetheless.
    Probably not in the last 4 1/2 years.

Griff

i think this is Dan's from the Hobart forum- I never labeled it when I copied it

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

A blast from the past, 2009 thread reborn.

Just my experience, antecdotal at best so take it or leave it.

I had reels for several years, they are fast out and fast in and take up minimal space on a crowded bed.

But, they get really hot at higher amperages say 160A+ or so all day. That means you have to do more lead maintenance, cut off the black burnt ends (all 4) much more often. My last set of (good) leads cost about 2k, I don't like cutting 4' off each end (4) twice a year to have good clean copper to put new connections on.

I gave up the convinience of reels for pronghorn racks with big loose loops and are happy, happy.

An old SA-200/250/300 is less concerned with tightly packed leads than say a Vantage or PipePro but they still overheat meaning you have to spool them out loose on the ground for any long term higher amp use. And your high $ leads will die a lot sooner.
    A Vantage or PipePro arc characteristics will be adversly affected by tightly wound reels in my opinion. The nice adjustments those machines give you can be lost with a set of reels.
    The Anger Management knob in downhill pipe mode becomes a lot less or even no effect(tive). And that knob is your pinch control using flux core. So I really like the use of it and don't want to make it innefective, it does too much good at the puddle, for me.

A lot of people live happily with reels but they were more trouble and $$ than they were worth to me after about 5 years of use. But I run high amperage (to me, 200-400A) for long days and weeks. I want opimal arc characteristics at the sharp end regardless of anything else and I want to squeeze every bit of adjustability/arc tailoring out of my machine. Your situation may be mo different.

I know jam up pipeliners (few) with reels on the truck, working solely in a tie in or road bore situation. Get in the salty firing squad and it's a little different. Go outside pipeline tie in world and it can be very different due to the heat run and the hours/day it's run.

J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    i think this is Dan's from the Hobart forum- I never labeled it when I copied it

Pardon my ignorance. What is the purpose of that inductor?

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Joe View Post
    Pardon my ignorance. What is the purpose of that inductor?
    I was using it to add some softness to a MIG arc, and improve weld puddle wet out.

Default Induction from coiled up leads???

That's exactly what I was talking about.
    Danny, does it do what you thought it would?

That's exactly what I was talking about.
    Danny, does it do what you thought it would?
    I would not put any impedance on the ground side of any circuit.

This is a picture from the mm 140 mig manual when I started messing with ours at work about four yrs ago the guys said it would just burn back to the tips and mess them up. So I started trying to figure it out finally I looked at this picture and the neg and pos leads were crossed . The neg goes around the case and comes from the top and pos comes in the bottom. When they put it together new they didn't have that neg lead the way it was suppose to be. So I guess it was causing it to magnetize now it works perfect.
    Attached Images Attached Images