Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Cool Induction from coiled up leads???

Over the years I have heard over and over about the affects of having your leads coiled up and it having adverse affects. I have spent the last few hours searching the net hoping to find some "GOOD" info on this.

A buddy of mine recently told me that the more you wrap your lead (don't recall which one) around something like a leg on a table, the more induction you get. His take on it was that in some cases this is a good thing and in some cases it is not.

To make a long story short, a guy I know that has welded on pipe for the last 30 years or so, ran a root pass with my Trailblazer 302 and said he didn't much like the way it ran. You could tell that he did a pretty good job but you could also tell that it really didn't want to tie in very well. I can't help but wonder if having 125' or so of lead wrapped up on a "steel wheel" might be having an affect on the arc?

Anyone here have some factual info on this?
    Last edited by acustomfabricatorcom; 01-31-2009 at 10:56 PM.

Hello,ive got a pipepro and i can tell really tell the difference when my 100'ers are coiled up or strung out.before i built my reels i had my 100' leads coiled in a box built into the flatbed,i was welding and couldnt get my bead in at all,it was all over the place.As i walked by my rig i noticed all the metal filings clinging to the leads so i got em out,strung em out and the problem went away.....I now have my 100' on reels for long distance and 25'in the well for Right away work.
    Miller Pipepro 304
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Lincoln HD 175
    Victor Jr. torch
    Purox angle head torch
    Smith torch
    Atlas Lathe
    Bridgeport mill

Quote Originally Posted by acustomfabricatorcom View Post
    Anyone here have some factual info on this?
    Induction happens with coiled conductors and "changing" current.
    That's basic electricity. It's the same thing as what happens in
    a transformer.

Note that I say "changing" current, not "alternating" current.
    Even when the welder is set for DC, when the current starts
    to flow (such as when you strike an arc or pull the MIG trigger)
    there is a change in the current in the conductor and the
    inductor, well, inducts... but it's transient and goes away
    quickly. The same happens when you stop -- it's a change
    in the current... Even with DC Stick, the current is varying
    slightly as you weld, which causes the inductor to induct.
    With MIG, the current is switching on/off fairly frequently,
    so that too will cause the inductor to induct.

Whether that induction affects the welds or not, I can not say.
    I imagine that it could. But I do not know.

Frank

? DC makes good electromagnets. You don't need to be inducing elec energy into other things or shifting the direction or amps to make a strong magnetic field with a large coil of wire. The magnetic field impinges on itself.
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Even with the welding wrap coiled on the ground there is a magnetic air gap, though it's tough to get a tight coil when you plunk your cables on the ground but it's still there to some degree.

Say if you have a reels with a steel core, like the home mades, or even Shel-ryn, or Swishco you have a large magnetic inductance happening which effects circuit board operated machines depending on where your reels are located in position with those internal boards. Even in non circuit board machines, that magnetic inductance can cause arc blow.

True Aluminum reels with a Aluminum not steel core, act like a air gap where there is a diffused magnetic inductance, but not enough to effect much.
    Last edited by cruizer; 01-15-2009 at 12:30 PM.

I wonder if there is a material you could make them from that would eliminate it entirely?

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Well, you could make the arc cables out of premium copper that was electrically treated with irridium, mind you that would probably cost about $10grand for a couple hundred feet.

So no, not too economic

Question "Pragmatic Magnet"

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    I wonder if there is a material you could make them from that would eliminate it entirely?
    Fusion: You talkin' the cables or the reels?

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    Fusion: You talkin' the cables or the reels?

Dave

The reels

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Well, no, even if they were invisible, your still going to have an cable indused magnetism in the air gap.